Selective eating disorder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nice one Gaz I dont know anything about SED but usually the first step to beating a problem is admitting you have one.

Good Luck you have been a great inspiration to people needing to lose weight maybe now you can be an inspiration for people to overcome easting disorders.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Nice one Gaz I dont know anything about SED but usually the first step to beating a problem is admitting you have one.

Good Luck you have been a great inspiration to people needing to lose weight maybe now you can be an inspiration for people to overcome easting disorders.

Thanks mate, Means so much to me, really does.......

DaveyB1981

Firstly, congratulations on the post. It is clear to me as a reader that it was massively hard for you to put out there and hopefully doing so will help you in dealing with the issue. That took balls and I would take my hat off to you, were I wearing one.

I know very little about the condition, most of my knowledge coming from the BBC series "Freaky Eaters". In honesty, I can appreciate how this can develop in someone. You have made a huge step in your post, and I am more than sure, from what I have seen of you, that you have the power to beat this.

Good luck and you know where we all are for support.

Dave

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Wow, you continue to amaze me, Gaz, with the way you tackle things head-on. I had also never heard of SED. Good luck!

T

david1701

that sounds shite, I've had a few mates with eating disorders and they really do play on your head.

If you're ever riding down here I'll make you dinner ;)

buggi

Bird Saviour
I have it Gaz. I can't eat certain textures. pasta for instance, or anything squidgy or rubbery (for instance, there is no way i would put octopus or squid in my mouth just to even try it). If i don't like the colour, no way am i eating it, and if i don't like the smell, no way either.

My mum said the minute she put me on solids i would gag. the health visitor agreed with my mum that as the only thing i liked was banana's, that was fine to just feed me that, as they are full of nutrition. But the problem didn't just go away like they hoped.

I class myself as a "reluctant anorexic". My childhood years were a nightmare. memories of avoiding being invited to any friends house, hiding food at my own table (this including things like putting a bag in my pocket so i could sneak the food in, feeding the dog under the table, and i even learned that if you mash your food up, and push it to the edges of your plate, leaving a gap in the middle, my mum thought i had at least had "some" and she would let me leave the table. I dreaded been sat next to my dad at the table because he was more savvy. Sometimes though, out of desperation, my mum would make me sit there for about 2 hours after everyone else had finished to try and get me to eat.

Needless to say, it didn't work because I wasn't just being stubborn. Anytime i put anything near my mouth i would literally gag (even before it was in my mouth). Because of this i hated my childhood.

I've always been naturally skinny too, (when i hit 5ft 8inch i was only 6 stone and only 1/2 stone heavier when i reached 5ft 10inch!) so that didn't help and people actually did think i was anorexic, but i would eat loads of the stuff i did like (even though that was limited to a few foods) so eventrually my mum stopped worrying, not least because i've always been the healthiest of all my siblings. i'd never have a cough or cold and even now i'm hardly ever ill. I can ride miles on nothing too. LOL

i'm a bit better now, than i was, but it didn't start to get better until my 30's, when I think i discovered that mayonnaise didn't taste like what i thought it would taste like (accidently bought it in a sandwich). And since then, i have been a little braver in trying things. i mean, i still wouldn't try squid or anything because i know that would definitely make me gag... but i do now like spaghetti bolognaise (spelling?) as long as it's got lots of sauce on it (i gagged at a friends recently because she didn't put enough on!! hope she didn't notice, i made an excuse after i was full coz i couldn't face eating the rest), and pepperoni on pizza is nice too LOL. I've also discovered i like any vegetable if it is roasted, before that i was limited to peas.

People don't realise how food can affect your life. A really nice guy took me to dinner recently to a posh restaurant and i can't tell you what a relief it was to find steak and chips on the menu! I didn't want to offend the guy by gagging over my food! It's very embarrassing. i can't stand indian, thai, chinese, or anything like that, so i can't go to those places with friends. Maybe it's why i'm single?

i still can't eat some meats. steak has to be well cooked and has to be cut up small. pork is a no no, it just goes white and hard in my mouth, almost like i haven't got the enzymes to break it down, and i end up gagging on it. chicken and turkey is fine though. also lamb is nice but it's because it's tender

I think i could handle it better if i could control the gagging, but i can't. And don't even get me started on "I'm a celebrity" when they do the eating the bugs thing. i can't even stay in the same room, or even be able to hear what's going on, because it actually makes me throw up... way beyong gagging!

i thought i was a fussy eater. turns out i have a disorder!!! nice one! now i can say "i can't eat that, i have a disorder" Yay! :thumbsup:

buggi

Bird Saviour
OMG... I've just gone back and fully read that wiki link you put in... i swear they wrote that for me!

What's "Global Development delays" though? i didn't get lady bumps and stuff til i was 18 or 19?? is that what that is??

Steve H

Large Member
Wow Gaz!

It strikes me that someone with the determination to get from over 39 stone to less than 15 stone is capable of achieving just about anything they set their mind to. Sounds like you've decided its now time to tackle this next challenge.

Do you think it is something you can do by yourself or are you going to try and get some professional help with it.

I don't know anything about SED so I may be well of the mark here, but I love the way you've published your cycling goals on your blog site - distances, trouser sizes, times etc. If you are feeling brave enough, you could publish some foodstuff goals. I'm sure with the level of followers and supporters on here we could encourage you to keep trying things.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Thanks everyone

The support being offered is amazing, always thought I'd be ridiculed TBH. Buggi pretty amazing to see someone else, like me going though it, I know what you mean about cycling miles on nothing, I do it every day, even my 100k rides were done without eating before or during.

Steve, I smashed obesity head on , alone and won, I am gonna try the same with SED, I have sought help in the past and failed , like with obesity, it wasnt till I went public and admitted it that I was able to get a hold on it.

Thanks again everyone

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Gaz, I'm in awe of the guts you've displayed dealing with your weight and now this. I have a friend with his own SED. He won't eat anything that's yellow. But it's not cut and dried as he will eat eggs cooked in things like cakes. I've known him for years and he's never said how it started.

slugonabike

Gaz, thank you for your honesty and courage. You say that you cannot blame your SED for your former obesity - that may be true, but it must have made the weight loss even more of a battle!

As a compulsive eater I tend to have the opposite problem, I've never been too fussy about what I consume :blush:. After a lifetime of trying to beat this on my own I'm now going to Overeaters' Anonymous to try a different approach.

I wish you health and happiness.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
My sister used to be very fussy with her vegetables when she was young, she would only eat peas & carrots (because they are sweet), but now she loves all kinds of vegetables. Luckily most people seem to grow out of selective dislikes as they grow up, it must be so hard if you don't.

A friend of mine doesn't like dried or processed fruit, including jam, and fruit can be "too red"... I once made a birthday cake for her, with jam in the middle, before I knew :blush: - we managed to salvage a bit for her, as the top & bottom layers were tall enough to cut the jam-affected bit in the middle out :thumbsup: . For some reason, banana cake or apple strudel are OK - as long as there are no raisins/sultanas in it. I don't think she will ever "outgrow" this, but we work our way round it :smile: .

Looking forward to hearing how you tackle this, Gaz! Somehow I think you will manage it ...

T

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Gaz, I'm in awe of the guts you've displayed dealing with your weight and now this. I have a friend with his own SED. He won't eat anything that's yellow. But it's not cut and dried as he will eat eggs cooked in things like cakes. I've known him for years and he's never said how it started.

Thanks H, All the support means a lot and is something I wasn't expecting, not a slight on anyone else, just the way I viewed SED and myself.

It normally starts with a trauma, but not always, it can be just something that happens for no reason.

Top Bottom