Self-indulgent extravagances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Nothing.
I will be single for the rest of my life, there will never be children. I have no desire to ever get on a plane again, or for far-flung foreign travel. I have no interest in fashion, expensive watches, or preserving looks I never had. My savings are hopefully going to the beneficiaries of my will. So I refuse to define anything I do spend as being self-indulgent or extravagant. I try and buy decent quality products at a decent price & make them last. I have a hankering for a velomobile (or two) & a Moulton (or two) but unlikely ever to spend that money. Other people's children are welcome to shoes at my expense.

Could I be named in your will please? ^_^

tyred

Legendary Member
You sound awfully like me!
And me!

I live a modest existence for the most part and certainly don't do fashion or keeping up with the Jones. I do own a lot bikes but none are expensive. I just enjoy working on them and saving them from the skip.

My main indulgence I suppose would be that I like to go to the theatre and to gigs but I'm not paying for expensive big name acts or travelling for shows, I just go whatever is on locally.

I haven't been on a plane since I went to England for a work trip in 2007. I may never be on a plane again.

I enjoy being on a boat though and have made plenty of trips to Scotland over the years as it is easy to that from here by boat and very cheap too if you're cycling rather than driving.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Halloumi, avocado and pesto sandwich on brown wholewheat bread.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I suppose one might say my indulgence is getting my daughters on the first rung of the housing ladder. I'm frugal enough to have saved some dosh but will never spend it so it's an early legacy payout. My frugality sounds bit like some who posted earlier. 5 bikes tho' but I do all my own mechanicking, repair my shoes................
There's plenty of folks out there who will take your dosh off you in a trice so it is very simples to spend it. But it's boring IMHO. Much rather be a bit inventive and keep the old stuff going. Find ways around the planned obsolescence of the corporates........

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I drove an Alfa GT coupe for 2 or 3 years. apart from a couple of spectacular breakdowns, the odd amusing electrical glitch and silly low profile tyres that were prone to sidewall damage, its was very reliable:laugh:

Decent wine
Nice chocolate
Quality meat / fish from local butcher / fishmonger (although often cheaper than supermarket anyway)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I love electronic gadgets and DIY/gardening tools ^_^
My latest purchases are a GPS tracker for the cat :laugh: and a blood pressure monitor just to compile a health survey (my blood pressure does not need monitoring otherwise)
I will be single for the rest of my life,
Would you not consider an erm ... mature woman that shares your same interests? :whistle: :laugh:
I have no desire to ever get on a plane again, or for far-flung foreign travel. I have no interest in fashion, expensive watches

Top Bottom