Self-indulgent extravagances

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm another one who treats myself to decent art supplies, I like the Winsor and Newton Cotman watercolour pans and Daler Rowney paper for my painting, Derwent Graphic pencils for sketching, and I use W+N Galeria acrylics for my daft little Fimo sculptures. I've tried cheap stuff but it's not as rewarding and the finished thing just isn't as nice.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
My only extravagance (I think!) is going out for a coffee. The price has rocketed nowadays and I do do it regularly. I only ever have one if I've ridden my bike to wherever though.

D

Deleted member 26715

My only extravagance (I think!) is going out for a coffee. The price has rocketed nowadays and I do do it regularly. I only ever have one if I've ridden my bike to wherever though.

This is always one of my biggest disappointments as well, you go somewhere & order a coffee hoping to really enjoy it & they bring you either a Nescafe thinking it's the DB's or they bring you a filter coffee that they have only used 1/2 the amount of coffee in the filter.

Jameshow

Veteran

That's so true ..

I love a coffee on a bike ride yet when I go out for a run it never crosses my mind! Perhaps the greater mobility of the bike lends it to it.

Asked for the carrot cake yesterday oh no that avocado and spinach or something cake yuck. Apple cake it is..!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My latest purchases are a GPS tracker for the cat :laugh:

I nearly bought one of those years ago when the cats used to go off on 2-3 day expeditions. Nowadays once barely leaves the house/garden and the other sits on the front drive begging affection from the passing public. How far do yours roam?

I'm another one who treats myself to decent art supplies, I like the Winsor and Newton Cotman watercolour pans and Daler Rowney paper for my painting, Derwent Graphic pencils for sketching, and I use W+N Galeria acrylics for my daft little Fimo sculptures. I've tried cheap stuff but it's not as rewarding and the finished thing just isn't as nice.

I use W&N Cotman watercolours too - have a box of 24 whole pans that I bought eight years ago on clearance for £12.99 :blush: Starting to replace some of the pans now, but have gone for the professional series paints this time.

Liquitex is my brand-of-preference for acrylics, though the Daler & Rowney System 3 are pretty decent too, and they do big flip-top tubes and tubs which is handy for the ones I use the most.

System 3 and Pro Arte brushes for me, and Bockingford paper.

vickster

Legendary Member
Private dentistry.
Previously private healthcare but now I get it through a corporate policy (saves me a fortune to spend on other extravagances ^_^)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Private dentistry.
That is increasingly a necessity rather than an indulgence, given that there is no chance of finding an NHS dentist in many parts of the country. I saw an old NHS dentistry poster in my local private practice a couple of weeks ago. I asked about it and the reply was "I don't mean to be rude, but you probably won't live long enough to get to the front of the queue!" I am 66 years old; they reckoned that it would take several decades to get an NHS place there!

My indulgences are very humble. Like @numbnuts, I am a pensioner, but until the fuel price rises really kick in I have more spending money than I have had for years. In the previous few years, I would shop around for hours to save 50p on an inner tube - it was the only way that I managed to eke out my money to state pension age. Now, I can simply find a 'reasonable' price and just go for it, not bothering about whether I have found the cheapest supplier.

vickster

Legendary Member
That is increasingly a necessity rather than an indulgence, given that there is no chance of finding an NHS dentist in many parts of the country. I saw an old NHS dentistry poster in my local private practice a couple of weeks ago. I asked about it and the reply was "I don't mean to be rude, but you probably won't live long enough to get to the front of the queue!" I am 66 years old; they reckoned that it would take several decades to get an NHS place there!

I did have an NHS dentist, who left, his replacement was awful and I couldn't easily switch to another in the same practice, led to me change (my private dentist offers Saturday clinics, same day emergency appointments etc, for me well worth the £13 odd a month which covers two thorough check ups, two hygienist attacks :laugh: and any x-rays a year for the only set of gnashers I have now)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Business class flights.
If I've got to spend 24 hours on a plane, I want a flat bed. And some alcohol.
Within Europe, I'd sooner go by train. My longest train journey so far was to Sicily :biggrin:

Top Bottom