Shaving - what kind of razor ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Every morning, I have a shave using an old-fashioned safety razor.

Does anyone else still use a safety razor? (I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get razor blades).

Or do you go for disposable razors or the likes of the Gillette Fusion ?

Is anyone going to own up to using an electric razor ? :wacko: - Presumably, only Southern softies ? :thumbsup:

Has anyone ever tried a straight (cut throat) razor ?

iLB

Hello there
safety razor?

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
iLB said:
safety razor?

Yes, just like the one in this pic.

SafetyRazor.jpg

Bl**dy hell, a reply like yours, really makes me feel old ! :wacko:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I recently won a voucher to get a wet shave with a cut throat and hot towels at some posh gentlemans grooming place, not been yet but will do.
I normally use a well known brand with disposable triple bladed heads. Hate electric shavers though, would rather grow a beard!

jeltz

Veteran
Yep I have several
A Merkur Futur adjustable, an Edwin Jagger, a late 60's Gillette Slim Twist and a feather popular :thumbsup:

Tesco and Asda both do blades for them, many independent chemists and some pound shops sell Wilkinson Sword blades and there are many many different brands available on Ebay and also from a company call Connaught

I am currently learning how to shave with a straight razor, but its quite a steep learning curve :wacko:

Crankarm

Guru
I guess there won't be any fermale contributors to this thread :wacko:?

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
jeltz said:
Yep I have several
A Merkur Futur adjustable, an Edwin Jagger, a late 60's Gillette Slim Twist and a feather popular :thumbsup:

Tesco and Asda both do blades for them, many independent chemists and some pound shops sell Wilkinson Sword blades and there are many many different brands available on Ebay and also from a company call Connaught

I am currently learning how to shave with a straight razor, but its quite a steep learning curve :wacko:

Thanks for the link to Connaught.

Do you go for any particular blades or do you use any type ?

I have a very old (85-90 years) single edge Valet AutoStrop, a Gillette Rocket (1950s) and a Gillette Tech (1950s). The Tech is a great razor for a beginner. I have to shave with great care using the Valet though. I've just about run out of single edge blades; sadly, the standard double edge ones don't fit.

jeltz

Veteran
Its worth getting a sample pack from Paul at Connaught, as what suits me might not suit you. FWIW I like Wilkinson Swords, Red Personnas, Gillette 7 o'clock sharpedges and Feathers the last 2 being rather sharper than the 1st 2.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I had a safety razor belonging to my dad, which he got sometime in the 1960s... I used it all the time (well, when shaving, of course) but I left it in a French service station bog. :wacko:

PBancroft

For the most of the last ten years or so I've only used an electric razor, largely because I'm lazy. The main problem is that I have very dark hair, so shaving with that often made it look like I hadn't bothered at all. It also gave me a slightly creepy goatee.

I've recently moved back to wet shaves, but only a Gillette Fusion - I fancied the idea of safety razors, but couldn't find one which was new to buy, or the blades.

I still look like I haven't shaved in the morning, but now at least it looks like I might have shaved yesterday at some point. :wacko:

Top Bottom