Shimano 105 STI not pulling front derailleur cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miklos

Veteran
Hi

I'm in the process of replacing my gear and brake cables, frst time I've done this. I have fitted The front derailleur cable but have not attached to the front mech.

I thought I'd check that when changed gear, it actually pulled the cable, it didn't. Is that normal ?

They are ST5800 shifters

Thanks

chriscross1966

Über Member
Did you put some tension on the cable when you shifted?

chriscross1966

Über Member
Hmm... fraid thats about my limit with Shimano... I'd suspect the nipple had popped out of its locator off the top of my head, dunno if that is possible on STI, it isnt on Campy Ergos as far as i can tell.

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
You should be able to feel it pull, make sure it's seated properly and give a few pulls of the shifter.
Thanks, do you think this is seated correctly?
So called lifeline 105 compatible cables.

Attachments

• IMG-20190217-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190217-WA0000.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 110

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS Are you sure you've fitted it in the right 'hole'

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yep, held it tight, did not feel any pull.
Yes, think so

Pretty sure it should be in the more square hole below. You need to take the cable out. Click the shifter till it in the bottom gear. A slot in the ratchet mechanism should appear in the square window. Push through there. You should see cable pop out slot in other side. Take end and push it upwards in a curve and it should exit the shifter where the cable slots in. Pull cable that end and the nipple should sit nicely in ratchet slot.

OP
OP
M

miklos

Veteran
Pretty sure it should be in the more square hole below. You need to take the cable out. Click the shifter till it in the bottom gear. A slot in the ratchet mechanism should appear in the square window. Push through there. You should see cable pop out slot in other side. Take end and push it upwards in a curve and it should exit the shifter where the cable slots in. Pull cable that end and the nipple should sit nicely in ratchet slot.

robjh

Legendary Member
So what happens at the nipple end in the brake lever mechanism as you change gear using the gear lever? Do you see it move, ie. carried up and down as the barrel rotates? If it's moving correctly at this end, then it's hard to see why you would detect no cable movement at the far end of the cable housing.

Top Bottom