Shimano biopace details please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
I`m right in thinking that the Shimano biopace chain rings are out out of normal cirlular shape around the circumference of the ring and it would be ok to fit a normal circular chain ring?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Yes it would, though a nagging voice at the back of my head says it's best not to mix and match Biopace and normal chainrings.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Landslide said:
Yes it would, though a nagging voice at the back of my head says it's best not to mix and match Biopace and normal chainrings.

Yeh! I never use the two smaller rings( I`ve fitted an electric kit to the bike) I`ve been getting a bit of knee trouble and have read that the biopace can sometimes cause it so I thought i would just try a standard ring to give it a try.

thanks for coming back

Biopace rings use a regular circular bolt pattern. There are no issues with mixing and matching rings of different ovality except that it feels decidedly odd. Avoid Biopace if at all possible, it was abandoned as a concept for good reason: it's sh!te.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
mickle said:
Biopace rings use a regular circular bolt pattern. There are no issues with mixing and matching rings of different ovality except that it feels decidedly odd. Avoid Biopace if at all possible, it was abandoned as a concept for good reason: it's sh!te.
-any chance of you expanding on that? A little more detail, perhaps?

Norm

mickle said:
Avoid Biopace if at all possible, it was abandoned as a concept for good reason: it's sh!te.
Actually, it was abandoned as a concept for a bad reason; prejudice (see above for examples)

Then again, what does Sheldon Brown know. ;)

Oh, back to the OP, have a look at that article for the comments on knee problems as well. The way in which Biopace are elliptical is the opposite to other elliptical chainrings, so it should be easier on the knees.

Top Bottom