Shimano brake and gear cables, worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
I am looking to change the cables in my bike next time I service it in a couple of weeks. Looking around the Shimano stuff seems to cost around £25 for their cheapest offering of both gear and brake cables. I can find a lot cheaper sets, from around £6 for both gear and brake.

I am a bit tight fisted, so I am wondering, what do I get for £25 that I don't get for £6, other than the Shimano logo in the outer?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I tend to use the Jagwire ones via eBay for about £8-10 for the full set, which come in a range of colours

Drago

Legendary Member
I also like Jagwire.

I always chuckle to myself when folk 'upgrade' to a higher level groupset, yet keep the same manky old poundshop cables that come with the bike.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
For gear cable I ALWAYS use Shimano SIS outer and try to get genuine stainless steel Shimano inners. I buy the outers in bulk lengths often 10mtrs at a time so it isn't very expensive. The inners sometimes arrive unbagged so whether I am actually getting the genuine inner cable is difficult to tell.
My last 'expensive' bike arrived fitted with Jagwire outers from the factory and shifting seemed to go off very quickly. When I replaced it the outers were very stiff and the cables felt rough when sliding through the casing, I wasn't impressed with those Jagwire casings so have since remained loyal to the Shimano stuff that has always worked well for me.

Brake cable is becoming a rare requirement in my mostly hydraulic fleet but I will happily oil and re-use the outers of whatever brand providing they are in re-useable condition. For inners I would go with a known brand due to the safety aspect of that most important item in the system.

Ajax Bay

Guru
what do you use to oil the outers?
The last Jagwire set I installed had instructions which said that no cable lubrication was required. But personally I use normal bike grease, thinly spread like the King's marmalade, on those stretches of the cables that will spend their time inside outers, and a dob in the under bottom bracket guides.
Most important thing is good cable cutters and opening out the brake cable outer ends (before ferrules) with an awl or similar (big safety pin sharp end).

OP
OP
C R

C R

Guru
The last Jagwire set I installed had instructions which said that no cable lubrication was required. But personally I use normal bike grease, thinly spread like the King's marmalade, on those stretches of the cables that will spend their time inside outers, and a dob in the under bottom bracket guides.
Most important thing is good cable cutters and opening out the brake cable outer ends (before ferrules) with an awl or similar (big safety pin sharp end).
I have tried like that before, but the plastic noodle liner in the v brake didn't seem to like the grease. Would chain oil be too runny?

Nibor

Bewildered
I have a Dart in my toolbox solely for this purpose.

Top Bottom