shimano Deore LX FC-M572 crankset 44/32/22 teeth 175mm octalink hollow mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
In your opinion, is it worth persevering with one of these? It's time for a new BB.

1587681065858.png

si_c

Guru
Worth persevering with until you can't get a new BB. Looks perfectly fine to me.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Worth persevering with until you can't get a new BB. Looks perfectly fine to me.
it's a nice Crankset but the BBs cost double what they should. Ideally I'd something that was easy to replace if I took the bike abroad but it should be fine, the last BB lasted well.

si_c

Guru
Tredz have the octalink BBs in stock - the ES300 version rather than the 105, price is a bit more expensive than a sealed bearing unit, but not to bad at around £17. Might be worth getting a couple...

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Tredz have the octalink BBs in stock - the ES300 version rather than the 105, price is a bit more expensive than a sealed bearing unit, but not to bad at around £17. Might be worth getting a couple...
Ooh, that's a bargain. Cheers, I'll take a look. There's about 1mm play at the moment and I've lost the wee adaptor that goes on the end of the crank removal tool but if I can replace it at that price I'll be chuffed.

Crankarm

Guru
Plus it is a triple crankset which have now become pretty much obsolete and doubles are going the same way in MTB land in preference for 1 x11 set ups.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
It looks like people have bought the wrong BB for this crank time and time again and buggered up their chain line. I'll have to take the BB out and see what it is.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I have the M570 Square taper of that chainset. Keep it going as the chainrings aren't easy to get for a reasonable price.
Do you have any recomendations, regarding replacement chainrings fossyant? I'm looking at fc m590 parts ATM. I understand there could be other issues preventing one from using standard 9 speed deore rings, the originals have a longer tab length.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do you have any recomendations, regarding replacement chainrings fossyant? I'm looking at fc m590 parts ATM. I understand there could be other issues preventing one from using standard 9 speed deore rings, the originals have a longer tab length.

Not found any yet that aren't a fortune. I'll keep looking as my large ring is getting worn

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Not found any yet that aren't a fortune. I'll keep looking as my large ring is getting worn
May have sourced a complete NOS chainset.

it seems that the tabs on Deore 9 speed chainrings might snag but just need filing down flat in order to fit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Thats what I ended up doing with my previous chainset. Cheaper to buy the whole lot.
LOL, I took someone's advice here and stocked up on OctaLink BBs, there's no going back now! Pretty sure that an fc m590 ring will work for the middle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Thanks for your input everyone, since starting this thread I've purchased a new old stock BB and then resolved the issue with a little retail therapy and bought a entire chainset in excellent condition,BB included, so it looks like I'm all set up.

I could have replaced the whole unit for something less pretty at half the expense :laugh:

Top Bottom