Shimano or Look Pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Having now got a pair of spangly new road shoes, i just need a decent set of pedals.

The bike has Shimano ultegra 6700 groupset.

I can get the 6700 pedal for £70, but...

I can get the 6800 carbon version for £78.00

on top of all this, the look keo 2 carbon get good reviews and have a wider axle allowing some spacers to be used, although i cant find these spacers in stock anywhere.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-2-max-carbon-pedals/

look are just over budget, but would go to that if they are worth the extra.

I have used shimano spd-sl (R540) and got on ok with them, the exustar look version i have used seemed ok, but not as good as shimano.

Dont mind paying up to £100 as they are for the pampered summer bike, but at that price, i cant afford to get the choice wrong.

Does anyone use the look pedals, if so what are your thoughts.

Also looked at Time Expresso, but some of the reviews put me off.

Any thoughts.

Last edited:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Look are lighter at the same price point than shimano. In terms of size and functionality they are probably pretty similar. I use Keos and have had no issues with them.

young Ed

Veteran
Having now got a pair of spangly new road shoes, i just need a decent set of pedals.

The bike has Shimano ultegra 6700 groupset.

I can get the 6700 pedal for £70, but...

I can get the 6800 carbon version for £78.00

on top of all this, the look keo 2 carbon get good reviews and have a wider axle allowing some spacers to be used, although i cant find these spacers in stock anywhere.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-2-max-carbon-pedals/

look are just over budget, but would go to that if they are worth the extra.

I have used shimano spd-sl (R540) and got on ok with them, the exustar look version i have used seemed ok, but not as good as shimano.

Dont mind paying up to £100 as they are for the pampered summer bike, but at that price, i cant afford to get the choice wrong.

Does anyone use the look pedals, if so what are your thoughts.

Also looked at Time Expresso, but some of the reviews put me off.

Any thoughts.
nothing on the pedals from me but if the spacers are just plain nothing special spacer i could easily make some up for you if you just provide me with dimensions
i know i'm just removing disadvantages here and making the choice harder!
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
nothing on the pedals from me but if the spacers are just plain nothing special spacer i could easily make some up for you if you just provide me with dimensions
i know i'm just removing disadvantages here and making the choice harder!
Cheers Ed

Thanks for the offer but i work in engineering (CNC Sliding Head) and if i need i will make them out of titanium as we use a lot of the stuff. ^_^

U

User6179

You can get 105 pedals which are 9 grams heavier than Ultegra for £30ish with cleats .

gbb

Legendary Member
Not for any specific reason, ive always had Looks, from the old Deltas to Keos, never had problems with cleat wear based on leisure / fitness riding. Dont use them for commuting though, perhaps more regular clipping and unclipping would accelerate their demise. In fact, in ten years or so, ive never replaced a set of cleats through 3 or 4 sets of pedals
Walking in Looks can be skittery, Shimano may be better, dunno, never had them.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Keo 2 blades are the best of the bunch imho..
Just look at the size of the foot platform on the looks compared to the Shimano Dura-Ace.
They just offer a more stable foot platform

410-660x440.jpg

DSC00747-600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom