Shimano STI shift lever broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sargan

I have a 21 speed Mountain Bike .. certainly not new, but does for me.
It has Shimano combined brake & gear shift – I can find no model number on it, only the STI sticker.
Picture attached – front derailleur shift has failed and I need to replace – is this style still available, in which case I only need to change the one side.

If not available, any particular shift I should consider ...... gear set is probably now thought of as ancient, was top spec at the time ..... both Front & Rear derailleur are Shimano Exage 500 LX
So something that matches .. no point in over-specifying shift levers.

Attachments

• Lever -1.jpg
    Lever -1.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Lever-2.jpg
    Lever-2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Lever-3.jpg
    Lever-3.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 12

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get on ebay. They are probably nearer 28-30 years old. Almost identical to my Deore LX levers but you have metal brake levers, mine are resin.

Often see them on ebay.

OP
OP
S

sargan

You are right ... I thought it was just Shimano tag ... but on close inspection says M050 L
Bike is a Muddy Fox from 1989 .... until this broke, does all I need it to do.

If I can't find a replacement ..... what would you suggest I use with the Exage 500 LX derailleurs

OP
OP
S

sargan

eBay prices are very high .... so welcome suggestion on what I can replace both sets with, 3 x 7 speed and cantilever brakes

C R

Guru

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Those are for V brakes, though, OP has cantis. Some of the models have an adjustment for either Vs or cantilever, but I don't think those can be adjusted.
Ah, your knowledge is greater than mine, I was aware each were listed for V Brakes but presumed the pull would be similar and ok for cantis too.

C R

Guru
Ah, your knowledge is greater than mine, I was aware each were listed for V Brakes but presumed the pull would be similar and ok for cantis too.
I went through this when I fixed up my commuter, ended up converting to Vs from cantis because it was easier to find levers for Vs. I think the brakes might work after a fashion, but I wouldn't risk it.

C R

Guru
On the Shimano ST-EF41 it says for 'V brakes' my bike does not have these- it has Cantilever brakes doe that rule them out ?
Check the EF51 from my link above, those can be configured to work with cantis. Alternatively you could fit Vs, which are easier to set up anyway.

OP
OP
S

sargan

Sorry had missed the link .....read the reviews of that Amazon one - shoicking, its a Chinese copy ... not genuine Shimano. If I can find ST-EF51 that will work with cantilever brakes I will buy then ,,,,,, any sugestion for source ?

Top Bottom