Shoes/pedals/cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bud_white

Hi All,

I have just ordered my first road racing bike from my lbs. I have decided to try and shop online for the items mentioned in the title as prices seem to be more competative. I am a UK size 12 which is a Euro 47.5. My first question is;

Will a size 12 fit my huge feet, or should I get the next size up as the shoes appear to be narrow towards the toe?

On to pedals,

I have been looking at wiggle.co.uk and I have picked out these pedals http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Time_Xen_Pedals/5360032828/. I will be doing at least a 14k round trip to work and back depending on which route I choose. I am also thinking about having a go at a sprint triathlon to see how I like it. Will these pedals stand the test of time or should I be buying a different pedal?

Now to show my a**

Which is the best way to make sure that the cleat/shoe/pedal all match if you are buying different brands? On wiggle they link you straight to the cleat the one for the above pedal is http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Time_RXS_~_Impact_~_Xen_Pedal_Cleats/5360016548/
Common sense tells me that I will need a shoe with a three bolt pattern. I was wondering if there are shoes with different three bolt patterns or are three bolt patterns standard?

Wiggle is the only website I have looked at so far and they seem reasonable are there anymore sites I should be looking at?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All road shoes use the three bolt pattern which works with Look, Time and SPD-SL.

MTB shoes use a small 2 bolt design, completely different as the cleat is recessed.

For shoes - I'd try some on first - note which fit, and if the shop is way over priced, shop elsewhere. Different makes fit differently. I'm a 42 normal shoe, take 43 Specialized, a 44 in LAKE, and am a 42 in some old Addidas shoes ?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Definitely try shoes first. Different makes have different shapes - I have narrow feet, eg, and have always found Shimanos good for me. I'd also err on the side of tight rather than too big. They're not like walking shoes, where they need to be able to accommodate movement - ideally, when you're riding your feet need to be basically rigid. The last thing you want is shifting-about room...that's just a recipe for blisters.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Don't buy shoes online. Would you do that if you were looking for a pair of dress shoes, or hiking boots?

Unless you have used a particular shoe brand/model before and know your size in that brand/model, it's a really bad idea.

Bodhbh

Guru
Agree with the above. Took me 2 returns before getting some shoes which fitted, lot of messing about for nothing. Okay the range is better online, but any shoe which doesn't fit is useless.

parklaneyido

Bodhbh said:
Agree with the above. Took me 2 returns before getting some shoes which fitted, lot of messing about for nothing. Okay the range is better online, but any shoe which doesn't fit is useless.
My shoes fit first time :wahhey:;)

Top Bottom