Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amheirchion

Hi, I'm currently in the market for some new trainers, as my current ones have holes in the soles and are horrendous in the rain.
I'm after something suitable for cycling and for day to day wear, which at the moment means:
Fairly stiff soled, but still suitable for general wear around town.
Fast drying or fairly water repellent for those rainy commutes.
Not fugly.

I favour skate style trainers normally, and the plainer the better. My current pair of Airwalks are still usable, just not in the wet, or when it has been raining as they soaki up water like a sponge and as mentioned have holes in the soles leading to wet socks.

Does anyone have any suggestions, and/or ideas which shops to take a look around.

P.S. I'm a poor student, so nothing that will cost me an arm and a leg.
P.P.S. Thanks for reading.

Fiona N

Veteran
I think you'll find most people around these parts use cycle-specific shoes with or without cleats for clipless pedals (e.g. Shimano spds).

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Decathlon do some quite good value walking shoes with a decent grip so if you are not after clip in cycle specific shoes good for not slipping off pedals. fugly is in the eye of the beholder! :thumbsup:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I was with you up until the poor student and within a budget bit, only because I've done the same sort of searches and they all seem to be expensive. The best I've found are from Five-Ten:-

http://fiveten.com/products/product-search/tag/gendertype/mens_m23/

They generally have a stealth rubber sole and it's fantastic for pedal grippiness. I have the Impact Low which are very good but, if it's really wet, they'll soak up the water and get pretty heavy. They were developed with MTBing in mind, so I spoke to 5-10 about a more appropriate shoe, ie something that gave the same sole performance but dried out much better. They suggested the Savant model as an alternative, designed with water in mind so drains easily and dries very quickly. You could also look at their Basic models which are in the Van style. If you don't want to spend that much, or the uppers on your current ones are ok, then you can have them soled. Apparently the stealth rubber soles are a big thing, you can have them put on for about £35, I can't find the link right now.

For a new pair then you'll be looking at £50+, some at CRC here:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=247

OP
OP
Amheirchion

Amheirchion

True enough on the fugly. In my eyes fugly are the shoes that are a mish mash of colours and patterns, I prefer a solid colour, minimal patterning. Had a look at Decathlon's website, but there's no store within reach of me, so they're provisionally out, thanks though and if I find any in the shops in town I'll take a look.
I wouldn't mind going clipless too much, but I'm under strict orders to control my spending, and I need something I can walk around college in comfortably, and even head out on field surveys in if needed. (Which I didn't really think about too much earlier), so perhaps I should be looking into stiff soled hiking shoes.

OP
OP
Amheirchion

Amheirchion

Five-Ten:-

Sadly they are pretty much out of my budget, they do look good though, if possibly a tad over-engineered for my needs. Plus all the dealers on their site are far away from here (Northampton), I don't fancy the idea of buying someting like shoes sight unseen. I'll keep them as a name to remember though, when budget allows and if my needs are met by them. Cheers.

OP
OP
Amheirchion

Amheirchion

Right, I'm off for a hunt round town and see if anything jumps out at me there. (I'm bored and want to get out the house and my loan just came through. :biggrin:)

Top Bottom