Shopping Trolleys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
These are outrageously overpriced and basically I cant see many people paying well over £100 for a shopping trolley. People need to be on their guard about things like this especially older and more vulnerable people. The normal price for a shopping trolley is around £10-£25ish.

How ethical do you think the manufacture of a ten pound trolley is? How much do you think the person making it is paid? What quality can the components possibly be and how long will they last? How sustainable is the manufacturing process? How good is the basic design and even the styling if you care about that?

I would absolutely not buy a ten pound trolley, it's guaranteed to be a piece of crap destined almost immediately for landfill.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
How ethical do you think the manufacture of a ten pound trolley is? How much do you think the person making it is paid? What quality can the components possibly be and how long will they last? How sustainable is the manufacturing process? How good is the basic design and even the styling if you care about that?

I would absolutely not buy a ten pound trolley, it's guaranteed to be a piece of crap destined almost immediately for landfill.

They will be exactly the same or very similar to the ones over £100.00 actually. Its an alloy frame with a piece of fabric at the end of the day. My elderly relative had one was £8.00 and it lasted well over 5 years.
A ten quid item is a ten quid item however its dressed up.
I think its appalling that these companies are basically blantly fleecing the elderly.

winjim

Smash the cistern
They will be exactly the same or very similar to the ones over £100.00 actually. Its an alloy frame with a piece of fabric at the end of the day. My elderly relative had one was £8.00 and it lasted well over 5 years.
I think its appalling that these companies are basically blantly fleecing the elderly.

I'm in my 40s.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'm in my 40s.

I'm sorry that you have been basically fleeced. Obviously some younger people do use them but in the main its the elderly etc. These companies selling extortionately priced shopping trolleys should be reported to Trading Standards. Its a scam.

Alex321

Veteran
They will be exactly the same or very similar to the ones over £100.00 actually. Its an alloy frame with a piece of fabric at the end of the day.
Any particular reason for that rather odd belief?

Yes, it is a frame with some fabric. But fabric quality varies very widely, as does the quality of bearings in the wheels, and the solidity of construction of the frame and the wheels.

My elderly relative had one was £8.00 and it lasted well over 5 years.
Do you have any evidence that they are doing so?

I notice, BTW, they have a three year manufacturers warranty, which is a fair bit longer than the cheap ones are likely to have.,

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
OP specifically said they were disappointed with the design and engineering of some trolleys they had seen.

If they were all the same then we'd all be riding around on cheap bikes, wouldn't we?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Any particular reason for that rather odd belief?

Yes, it is a frame with some fabric. But fabric quality varies very widely, as does the quality of bearings in the wheels, and the solidity of construction of the frame and the wheels.

Do you have any evidence that they are doing so?

I notice, BTW, they have a three year manufacturers warranty, which is a fair bit longer than the cheap ones are likely to have.,
Really?

Last edited:

My experience with sub £10 shopping trolleys has been very different to what you claim they 'must' be like.

Rolser (for instance) don't tell us anything about their production and processing facilities, except that they have 'a factory in Vietnam for the production and processing of bags.'

I'll take my chances with a trolley from the cheap sells-everything shop, when one costing ten times as much comes from an anonymous Asian factory with unknown credentials, just the same as the cheap one.

Your supermarket has bike racks? :ohmy:

Yes, a plurality, and well placed so they are visible from the caff, right by the door, under shelter.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Isn't the saying "a fool and his money are soon parted"?, I wasn't aware there was an age qualifier (I am 'elderly' I believe).

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm with @KnittyNorah re shopping trolleys ^_^
Mine came from Home Bargains a good few years ago, can't remember the price but not more than a tenner for sure.
It it still working fine for what it's meant to do.
The reinforced bottom broke, so I did put a piece of cut to size plywood in its place.
The sort of second handle, in the middle of the trolley, has split, but it doesn't affect function.
It's still capable of ferrying cat litter on half a mile of uneven pavements, all good.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nah, the next thing will be electric trollies and whether they can exceed the 3 mph walking speed without needing to be pushed or pulled.
I've just realised that golfists have this already and with remote control - just use a shopping bag instead of the club bag
1701381529408.png

From here: Only £1100 :ohmy:

winjim

Smash the cistern
My experience with sub £10 shopping trolleys has been very different to what you claim they 'must' be like.

Rolser (for instance) don't tell us anything about their production and processing facilities, except that they have 'a factory in Vietnam for the production and processing of bags.'

I'll take my chances with a trolley from the cheap sells-everything shop, when one costing ten times as much comes from an anonymous Asian factory with unknown credentials, just the same as the cheap one.

I'm glad it's working for you, I don't think it would for me and the OP had some specific requirements as well. As for the unknown credentials, I do quite enjoy the way Rolser boasts about its EN 14183 accreditation. In all seriousness though I think a £100 trolley may or may not be produced ethically but for a £10 trolley I don't think that's even possible. Not saying that my house isn't full of much more cheap junk than it has any reasonable excuse to be, but I do try to factor ethical considerations into my purchases.

Top Bottom