Shopping Trolleys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Is This too big (Amzaon link)? My Dad bought one for the beach and ended up pulling my son and niece around the garden in it. very sturdy, very roomy, lower centre of gravity for shopping. 55 quid

Those are the sort of thing people use at festivals to take all their stuff from the car park to the campsite (which are often opposite sides of the site). They are designed to carry rather more than a normal shopping trolley.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Another vote for the Rolser, bit pricey maybe but very good quality. Maz had a couple of cheapish ones and they only lasted 2-3 years whereas the Rolser is still going strong after 7+ not only that but it still looks pretty new.

It may even have been you who recommended it to me.

tyred

Legendary Member
Most whelbarrows fit down the aisle in a bus?

You must have wide buses where you are :smile:

It depends on the size of the wheelbarrow.

R (10).jpeg

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I was on the verge of getting one until I decided I didn't fancy the faff of wrestling two trolleys round the aisles instead of one.
Absolutely right. There is no way you can do that, you have to secure the trolley and come back to it when you have checked out. This thread: What's a decent bike lock comes into its own here. Now, of course, we open up a whole new area of conflict between cyclists and shopping trolley owners who fight for access to fixing points such as lamp-posts and cycle racks to secure their valuable property.

Of course, enlightened supermarkets such as Aldi, Lidl and Food Warehouse would probably extend their current practice of providing bag-packing shelves beyond the checkouts and provide the necessary secure points (perhaps beneath the packing shelves for smaller trolleys). However, benighted supermarkets such as most Morrisons, Tescos and Sainsbury's, would doubtless extend their current disregard of customers' packing-space needs by ignoring the need for additional strong-points too.

Now, does a bike with a shopping-trolley trailer have a moral right to two secure points? Discuss…

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Here's a novel idea. Why not use the shopping trolley as... a shopping trolley? You don't need a supermarket one if you've brought your own.

Absolutely right. There is no way you can do that, you have to secure the trolley and come back to it when you have checked out. This thread: What's a decent bike lock comes into its own here. Now, of course, we open up a whole new area of conflict between cyclists and shopping trolley owners who fight for access to fixing points such as lamp-posts and cycle racks to secure their valuable property.

Of course, enlightened supermarkets such as Aldi, Lidl and Food Warehouse would probably extend their current practice of providing bag-packing shelves beyond the checkouts and provide the necessary secure points (perhaps beneath the packing shelves for smaller trolleys). However, benighted supermarkets such as most Morrisons, Tescos and Sainsbury's, would doubtless extend their current disregard of customers' packing-space needs by ignoring the need for additional strong-points too.

Now, does a bike with a shopping-trolley trailer have a moral right to two secure points? Discuss…

At Aldi and Lidl you can't walk into the exit part of the shop, to get to it you have to walk in the entrance and all the way around which seems like a faff. You could stand by the exit door waiting for someone to come out which also seems like a faff. Seems a shame as its a damn good idea to give people a chance to leave their larger empty shopping bags/trolleys in the packing area.

> Now, does a bike with a shopping-trolley trailer have a moral right to two secure points? Discuss…

Thats me, I looked at trailers that also functioned as a push trolley when detached but decided against it. I leave the bike and trailer outside (occasionally inside if its late as its quiet) and take my shopping outside to pack.

tyred

Legendary Member
Here's a novel idea. Why not use the shopping trolley as... a shopping trolley? You don't need a supermarket one if you've brought your own.

That's what I'd do. I am only ever shopping for myself so just use a large tote bag I have. I just walk around the shop, put my items in bag, take them out at the cash desk and put them back in again after I paid. I never use the shop-supplied trolley or baskets. No shop worker has ever objected to me doing this.

I don't see why they'd object to using your own personal trolley.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The best trolleys are made by Rolser. Not the cheapest but they're well built and actually styled pretty nicely, they don't look like old lady trolleys. Spanish colleague of mine says they use them all the time over there. I bought one a while ago and it's a quality piece of kit.

https://www.rolser.com/en

View attachment 714900

These are outrageously overpriced and basically I cant see many people paying well over £100 for a shopping trolley. People need to be on their guard about things like this especially older and more vulnerable people. The normal price for a shopping trolley is around £10-£25ish.

Top Bottom