shorts in winter - will i damage my knees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Cold seems to affect existing ailments, not create new. Of only doing a short ride, go with shorts if you are more comfortable.i did a ride in December wth sorts and felt fine over 40 mins

Wolf616

Über Member
Doesn't cold weather increase the viscosity of synovial fluid (the stuff that lubricates joints such as your knees) and therefore could lead to less efficient motion? Not necessarily saying it'd lead to injury, but yeah if you've got dodgy knees already probably doesn't help. Particularly arthritis!

Kajjal

Guru
I found since being over 40 i feel the cold more and now wear bib tights in colder wearing weather. If i don't i can feel it a little in my knees. With bib tights on all is fine.

Truth

Boardman Hybrid Team 2016 , Boardman Hybrid Comp
I have had knee reconstruction after rupturing my cruciate ligament playing football 15 years ago. I wear shorts all Winter and it has no effect at all on my knees.

bpsmith

Veteran
I would say cover your legs when it's cold, rather than just because it's Winter.

Last week didn't feel at all like Winter. This week is getting more like it, thankfully.

MarkF

Guru
I have had knee reconstruction after rupturing my cruciate ligament playing football 15 years ago. I wear shorts all Winter and it has no effect at all on my knees.

I have historical knee and hip problems due to football, that's why I took up cycling, I've never worn leg/knee warmers and never felt any need to. I am sure footballers worth millions of pounds would be wearing knee warmers if they should.

adscrim

Veteran
I have historical knee and hip problems due to football, that's why I took up cycling, I've never worn leg/knee warmers and never felt any need to. I am sure footballers worth millions of pounds would be wearing knee warmers if they should.

I suspect they do a proper warm up, thus mitigating the 'need' to wear knee warmers - should there be one.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There's a fair few footballers that wear tights nowadays, as a quick google will confirm.

Now, does anybody know how to clear your search history?

400bhp

Guru

And they don't run about as fast as you cycle.

This is the biggest difference in my view, wind chill.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I wear 3/4 shorts all year to commute in but also have leg warmers and knee warmers. The latter are on just about the whole year.

Top Bottom