shorts in winter - will i damage my knees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Citius

I had a quick search, and BC seem to admit that it's anecdotal and "traditional". Certainly not science based advice: "If you adhere to traditional cycling thinking, you should not expose your knees in temperatures below 15˚C." Linky

I doubt if there is any actual 'science' behind any of it - if there was, Russian pensioners would not be jumping through holes in the ice, wearing just a pair of trunks in order to go swimming in the Volga on new year's day.

Nevertheless, BC academy advice remains pretty consistent.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I doubt if there is any actual 'science' behind any of it - if there was, Russian pensioners would not be jumping through holes in the ice, wearing just a pair of trunks in order to go swimming in the Volga on new year's day.

:smile: I doubt that Russian pensioners would be put off by a scientific report.

I tend to follow that great scientist, my mum: "Wrap up warm, it's chilly out."
I've never been an adherent of that other (now discredited) scientist, my nan: "Don't wear your coat indoors, you won't feel the benefit". That's just nonsense.

tyred

Legendary Member

Anything is possible with sufficient Smirnoff....

e-rider

crappy member
I am a real sweaty betty when i cycle. First winter of cycling but through december i just did it in shorts, t-shirt and a long sleeve cycle top which i took off after the first ten minutes. Now i know january is colder and so i dont want to get arthritus in a few years. Should i get some knee warmers?
yes, you will cause damage long-term!

simongt

Guru
Must admit that I'm in the school of covering the legs / knees when it's about 10 degrees or lower. But my knees are wearing out anyway; result of a misspent earlier life, so keeping them warm is good. Although I have Raynau's so I have always had issues keeping my hands warm in the cold, it always intruges me the number of folk that I see on bikes in the winter months who don't wear gloves.

Top Bottom