shorts in winter - will i damage my knees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I am rather perplexed with why the fact that someone earns millions of pounds has anything to do with how the cold affects them.

They are an industries very expensive "assets", fortunes rest upon their performances, yet they don't wear any "warmers", even in very cold conditions.

MarkF

Guru
Footballers don't wear helmets either, come to think of it....

For now...........http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates...ets-top-neurosurgeon-weighs-concussion-risks/

Citius

yet they don't wear any "warmers", even in very cold conditions

But they do though - there are pictures all over the internet of players wearing thermals in cold conditions - and they all wear longs in training, in similar conditions...

MarkF

Guru
But they do though - there are pictures all over the internet of players wearing thermals in cold conditions - and they all wear longs in training, in similar conditions...

But when it counts, in matches, show me a "star" in leg thermals in the UK?

In training in very cold or wet conditions I always wore protective gear, because there is a lot of down time, but in matches there is none.

Last edited:

Citius

But when it counts, in matches, show me a "star" in leg thermals in the UK?

article-2246807-0C4E608D000005DC-987_306x423.jpg

Citius

Who is that, when was that? Is it a "star"? I think you'll accept that 99.9% of footballers in the UK don't wear any warmers if that is the best example.

I've no idea who it is, as I'm not an Arsenal fan. The relative 'fame' of the guy in the pic is largely irrelevant, other than being a 1st team player (which guarantees a big wage), and wearing thermals - which is all I was asked to provide. And no, I don't accept that 99.9% of footballers don't wear any warmers - base layers, gloves and leggings are routinely worn in cold weather matches. A quick glance at Match of the Day over the next couple of weekends (by which time it should be getting a lot colder) should confirm that.

MarkF

Guru
I've no idea who it is, as I'm not an Arsenal fan. The relative 'fame' of the guy in the pic is largely irrelevant, other than being a 1st team player (which guarantees a big wage), and wearing thermals - which is all I was asked to provide. And no, I don't accept that 99.9% of footballers don't wear any warmers - base layers, gloves and leggings are routinely worn in cold weather matches. A quick glance at Match of the Day over the next couple of weekends (by which time it should be getting a lot colder) should confirm that.

Some "star" then.

We were talking about knee's not base layers or gloves. Come back to me with the pics of knee/leg warmers from MOTD as the weather worsens..............and they are not "routinely worn", if they were you would not have searched the net and only come with that pic.

I have coached for over 20 years and can recall the amount of leg/knee warmers I've seen on one finger and I didn't even need that digit

Last edited:

Citius

I have coached for over 20 years and can recall the amount of leg/knee warmers I've seen on one finger and I didn't even need that digit

That's because you coach the local U9s and not Chelsea. I've already posted a pic of a premiership player in longs, as asked. Statistically, the number of pics available of such players does not necessarily correlate with their use.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
BC's advice is 15/18 deg C.
I had a quick search, and BC seem to admit that it's anecdotal and "traditional". Certainly not science based advice: "If you adhere to traditional cycling thinking, you should not expose your knees in temperatures below 15˚C." Linky

Hip Priest

Veteran
Some "star" then.

We were talking about knee's not base layers or gloves. Come back to me with the pics of knee/leg warmers from MOTD as the weather worsens..............and they are not "routinely worn", if they were you would not have searched the net and only come with that pic.

Doesn't matter though does it, because football and cycling are not the same.

oldroadman

Veteran
In my race days, team managers would go mad if you didn't cover up in training under 20c, when you spend 6 hours riding a bit briskly in the group. This was to protect muscles (work better nice and warm, and joints (warmer = smoother). You don't see many ex-pros with knee problems. You do see lots of ex-pro footballers with serious knee issues. this may be caused by the amount of twisting when the foot is anchored, but being cold does not help. So the question is, do you cover up and keep warm/hot (and that includes top half, head) or do you play the "hard man", stay in shorts, and take a risk with your body in older age. Your call - I know what mine was and still is. But then, what do I know, only 30+ years experience.:smile:

Top Bottom