shorts in winter - will i damage my knees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
I am a real sweaty betty when i cycle. First winter of cycling but through december i just did it in shorts, t-shirt and a long sleeve cycle top which i took off after the first ten minutes. Now i know january is colder and so i dont want to get arthritus in a few years. Should i get some knee warmers?

Crandoggler

The cold will have no impact on your knees. I'd get some warmers just to keep your body temperature up. Sweaty or not!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If your knees are getting cold then knee warmers would seem to be a good idea.

I did a web search on this and found no evidence for cold causing knee problems. But the "received wisdom" is that riding in the cold could damage your knees, and some may cite some anecdotal evidence. There may be something in it ... if you have a pre-existing injury then changes in barometric pressure can definitely cause twinges.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have dodgy knees and keep them covered below 15 degrees. Then I already have arthritic changes and am not keen on them hurting

Ultimately it's up to you however of course

@Crandoggler when did you qualify in orthopaedics? :whistle:

vickster

Legendary Member
You might want to moisturise the skin on your legs if exposing them to cold, wind and rain

Crandoggler

I'm not, but I'm well aware that climate doesn't play a factor for inducing or curing the condition.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm not, but I'm well aware that climate doesn't play a factor for inducing or curing the condition.
You have peer-reviewed scientific evidence to back this up this statement of fact and your awareness presumably. If so, please post as I for one would be interested to understand what makes my knees hurt more in the cold

zizou

Veteran
The cold will have an impact on your knees - I'm not quite sure the temperature range involved but you can damage cartilage / tendons in your knee from riding with them uncovered when its cold (they become less supple and elastic). The problem here is that temperature wise you could still feel alright and you might not notice the damage being done - it is accumulative and might take a few years to suffer the effects.

I've been through the mill knee wise but can't say if some of the trouble is through wearing shorts only down to 5 degrees.
What I can say is that I have lot less pain and problems if I wear leg warmers nowadays.

Anecdotal, so take it or leave it.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The cold will have an impact on your knees - I'm not quite sure the temperature range involved but you can damage cartilage / tendons in your knee from riding with them uncovered when its cold (they become less supple and elastic). The problem here is that temperature wise you could still feel alright and you might not notice the damage being done - it is accumulative and might take a few years to suffer the effects.
Seriously, can you cite any evidence that cartilage or tendon damage to a healthy knee can be caused by riding in the cold?

I'm not picking an argument, I'd genuinely like to know. I spent some time searching and found nothing. Just stuff I already knew about barometric pressure affecting pre existing conditions.

I concluded that it was just a meme, but my mind remains open to further evidence.

But as far as the OP goes ... try knee warmers. If nothing else, they will warm your knees.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You have peer-reviewed scientific evidence to back this up this statement of fact and your awareness presumably. If so, please post as I for one would be interested to understand what makes my knees hurt more in the cold
You're asking for proof of a negative. No one's going to issue a paper on the lack of relationship between cold and injury to previously healthy joints.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's your muscles that suffer in the cold. I sweat like a pig but in cycling specific clothing it's not an issue. I hate cold muscles and it slows me down. Clothing needs to change according to temperature.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The cold will have an impact on your knees - I'm not quite sure the temperature range involved but you can damage cartilage / tendons in your knee from riding with them uncovered when its cold (they become less supple and elastic).
I got my clothing wrong on NYD and was too cold over 50 miles. My (already-flawed, crunching) knees spent a day popping painfully. I then overcompensated yesterday and my legs were too hot over 25. I've now a rash on my thighs. Oh well, at least I'm getting exercise! :laugh:

Top Bottom