Should I be worried about my heart rate while cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T675Rich

I just got an upgrade to my fitness watch and this one has a heart rate monitor built in so for the first time I have heart rate information for a ride. My average for the 5 mile ride was 168bpm with a max of 190bpm (on the big hill bit). I have read some sites online that for my age my max should be 180bpm and during exercise between 100 - 160 average...my resting heart rate is around 100...

I think my question is should I upgrade my life insurance?

rugby bloke

Veteran
Cycle slower !! In all seriousness if you are concerned it might be worth chatting with your doctor.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I just got an upgrade to my fitness watch and this one has a heart rate monitor built in so for the first time I have heart rate information for a ride. My average for the 5 mile ride was 168bpm with a max of 190bpm (on the big hill bit). I have read some sites online that for my age my max should be 180bpm and during exercise between 100 - 160 average...my resting heart rate is around 100...

I think you will find that wrist based heart rate monitors are notoriously unreliable when used whilst cycling.
I have a Garmin 235 with built in hrm and it is fine for steady runs, not so good for sudden sprints as it tends to lag.
For accuracy you need either a chest strap or upper arm based hrm.
DC Rainmaker is a great source of information.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Heart rates vary widely by individual, and general rules don't apply in specific cases.
Sports equipment can give variable results.
Nitwits* on internet forums aren't qualified to give medical advice.

* I can only speak for myself, obviously. But I can make a shrewd guess about everyone else ;)

OP
OP
T675Rich

T675Rich

Cycle slower !! In all seriousness if you are concerned it might be worth chatting with your doctor.

If I go much slower I will stop, especially on the hill.

Only need to worry when the heart rate drops to zero.

But resting rate at a 100 does seem high for a sports person.

I am far from a sports person, 19st 7 trying to get fitter.

tom73

Guru
Wrist HRM are not the best for being on the money. (Apple watch however are more or less bang on the money) I'd not worry too much see how you go and how you feel after exercise ? If your heart is racing when you're at rest than you've a problem ? Any health data like @Heltor Chasca use it for you as a way to help you understand how you react to exercise and help you improve your over all health, fitness and enjoyment of cycling.

Go steady, enjoy and see how you go. Health, marketing and health care have become so hocked on things that go ping. Many have forgot what real obs are or what can effect how true they are.

Sharky

Guru
Can't advise medically, but for accuracy, can you check your resting rate by the finger on pulse method against the monitor to see if it is a true reading.

I'm sure it will creep down with regular cycling.

Those numbers are unique to you, the formulas you find on the internet are just guesses.

Now you have a HR monitor you can use it to monitor your fitness. As you become fitter, for the same ride you should see your average HR drop, likewise your resting HR will drop. Use it for a bit and you'll see a pattern emerge but don't fixate on it and don't start looking at zones and remember that at a given moment the wrist ones can be quite wrong compared to an HR strap.

PK99

Legendary Member

A resting heart rate of 100 is borderline tachycardic. Mine was up there for 2/3 months over last Xmas and my consultant (I've got long term chest and autoimmune problems) was concerned that I was heading for heart failure - had all the scans and test and turned out ok, but with resting HR of 100 it might be worth a chat with your GP.

Zeffer

The resting HR seems high, my GP gave me an ECG when mine was like that (following an operation I should add). I am down to around 60 BPM now.

I regularly hit 197 BPM on a steep hill and I checked with the GP as this seems high for my age and he literally said congratulations on reaching your maximum heart rate and then explained we are all unique and I shouldn't worry at all!

vickster

Legendary Member
Get your Heart/ HR measured by your doctor using medically approved equipment not a consumer wearable. Get your BP checked too

Mine for reference is mid to high 50s and I’m far from a sportswoman (at least 15kg overweight)

Top Bottom