Should I have a word with my mate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I've known some people who are really ANTI lights for some unknown reason. I've said "you really need to get some lights now it's dark, you can get a perfectly acceptable set for a few quid from the supermarket" or words to that effect and they've been all "ugh no thanks". Once I said to one "you wouldn't drive your car at night without lights would you?" and he actually paused for a moment, like it had kicked in. Then just said "yeah well I'm not a car am I?".

He's also been in a few minor crashes. Still won't use lights though. He's just a weirdo.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
He's also been in a few minor crashes. Still won't use lights though. He's just a weirdo.

If anything serious happens to him it can only strengthen the gene pool?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In my experience these type of riders are the ones who are immune to 'incidents' it's the ones with all the lights and safety gear that get caught up in things ;)

Aye. Khama works that way when it get's it's wires crossed. :whistle:

Take the 'hiss' out of his pavement cycling - he is a mate. Shout 'when is your mummy going to let you ride on the road?'. And sling him a few cheap flashers from Tesco - less than £3 each and quite bright. Helmet - his choice.

If it was someone you didn't know, then I'd leave them to it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bit cheeky, what does one have to do to be considered a "cyclist"?

Not ride on the pavement, and get some lights, I'd say....

Like others have said, tell him once to get it off your conscience. If you feel generous, the poundland lights gift is a good idea. Sounds like he's not too bothered about his safety (I'm not referring to the helmet, I don't wear one myself), but if you know him well enough, something along the lines of "Hey, mate, you know you're being a tit riding like that and with no lights, don't you? And breaking the law. Grow up and get sorted out." might work. If he takes offence, he's not worth having as a mate.

A lot of people seem very ignorant of the law, but then a lot of people seem to be generally ignorant of a lot of things.

On the 'proper' cyclist front, I'm quite willing to be a snob about it. Ride a bike legally, safely, and with lights, like I do, and you're a cyclist, like me. Doesn't matter what your bike is, or what you wear, whether you're a lycra clad roadie or an old lady on a shopper, or a student on a Tesco Special BSO.

Ride on the pavement (when it's not shared use), jump red lights, don't have lights on in the dark, weave in and out of pedestrians or cars dangerously, and you're just a pillock who happens to be on a bike.

So my snobbery, I like to think, is based on high moral principles, and not class, or economic grounds. I realise it's still snobbery, but hey, that's just me.

Fran143

Über Member
Um. How were you able to establish his existence if you 'couldn't see him'?

Oops....I should have said I could only see him when up very close.....never a good position for a cyclist to be in.:rolleyes:

Your mates cavalier attitude could well be his downfall. Some people have to experience the consequence of their own actions for things to sink in, otherwise advice from others goes in one ear and out the other.

If he's a mate, have a word in his shell like then leave it up to him.

I must say if some helmet evangelist started on at me about them I would immediately consign them to the "not interested in what you have to say" bin. And it sounds like he's done the same. Another example of helmets getting in the way of true safety?

lukesdad

I must say if some helmet evangelist started on at me about them I would immediately consign them to the "not interested in what you have to say" bin. And it sounds like he's done the same. Another example of helmets getting in the way of true safety?

Blah blah blah....

Fran143

Über Member

The Op only stated that in course of conversation he felt the helmet prevented further injury, that does not make him sound like a helmet evangelist in my book. :rolleyes:

So how that impedes his mates safety I don't know.

Top Bottom