Should I have a word with my mate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Op only stated that in course of conversation he felt the helmet prevented further injury, that does not make him sound like a helmet evangelist in my book. :rolleyes:

So how that impedes his mates safety I don't know.

Because mate probably stopped listening to what would have actually been good advice about not cycling on the pavement and using lights because he started out trying to get him to wear a helmet. Its the Jehovah's Witness and Mormon effect. They may be very nice people but you will never find out because you are just not interested in interacting with them. And the effect was visible in his comment "Not even interested when I was telling him about it."

lukesdad

Because mate probably stopped listening to what would have actually been good advice about not cycling on the pavement and using lights because he started out trying to get him to wear a helmet. Its the Jehovah's Witness and Mormon effect. They may be very nice people but you will never find out because you are just not interested in interacting with them. And the effect was visible in his comment "Not even interested when I was telling him about it."

Give over will ya ? :angry:

400bhp

Guru

You're not serious are you?

Anyone not intelligent enough to understand that riding on the pavement in the situation described is highly unlikely to understand the rights and wrongs of helmet wearing.

Bicycle

This is fairly rich and may be a fairly well targeted attempt at lampooning the anti-helmet crew, although I'd previously seen you as a member (like me) of the 'Free to Choose Brigade'.

If it is your intention to mock people who stand bravely against helmet fascists, you've done a wonderful job here.

You mention what you call the 'JW and Mormon effect' which I guess is a matter of getting so 'preacherish' about things that people stop listening to you...

Another reading of the 'JW or Mormon Effect' might be seeing every mention of the H-word as a sprouting Helmet Debate poking its head above the topsoil and then making a tenuous link to demonstrate a point you just won't let go...

Not unlike a doorstepping JW or Mormon, perhaps. :rolleyes:

Fran143

Über Member

Sounds more likely that said mate is just not interested as he has a total disregard for his and others safety given the fact he chooses to cycle in this manner. Helmet debate is another story and not this one....though you seem to keep fixating on it....I get it you don't wear one.....I don't care whether you do or not as long as you don't turn up in my A&E after coming off....so can we all be happy now?

I don't care whether you do or not as long as you don't turn up in my A&E after coming off....so can we all be happy now?

Would you bar me from "your" A&E after tripping on an uneven pavement and hitting my head? Or is it just cyclists you have a thing against?

Fran143

Über Member
Would you bar me from "your" A&E after tripping on an uneven pavement and hitting my head? Or is it just cyclists you have a thing against?

Valid point it wouldn't matter to me how you got your injury as everyone gets treated the same.....long road we could go down about injuries and the way they occur but hey ho. As for your insightful projection on me having a "thing against cyclists" get over yourself!

Cubist

Still wavin'
He managed it in the end then didn't he! All it took was a bit of persistence.
whistling.gif

Its not a helmet debate, no matter how much you would like it to be !

That's your interpretation but the first thing the OP kicked off with was his lecturing his mate about not wearing a helmet. If you recall cycling on the pavement and not using lights were "the other couple of things" his mate did i.e. not the primary thing. But reinterpret that to claim its nothing to do with helmets if you wish.

Top Bottom