Should I have a word with my mate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How could I have missed this....he's a serial offender on this matter......by-gods I'm off out to get a life!

I suggest you look up the meaning of serial offending - your understanding of its meaning seems about as poor as your understanding of the phrase "evidence based medicine" Starting one thread noting the failure of a compulsory helmet wearing bill to get a second reading is not a serial event. If it were then you yourself are already a serial offender many times over on the topic. And Lukesdad is a career offender

It is fascinating sociologically though watching the way in which the pro-helmet lobby, having lost the evidence based argument has given up on even attempting one and is now going for the "pack of hyenas" tactic in attacking anyone that dare question helmets and their lobbyists. As Cicero said, when you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff. He would be proud of you. :hello:

Sensor ? Ah that ll be the one that goes off every time you read HELMET ! Then. :eek:

Reduced to spelling flames now are you? How sad.

Fran143

Über Member
I have no problem with what you choose to wear on your head when riding your bike and you won't find me lecturing you about your wearing one. I do have a problem with all the helmet wearers, like the OP and yourself, who see it as their role to lecture me and others about our personal choice not to wear one. Enjoy your ride but stay clear of the golf course. :hello:

You really don't get it do you, it is obvious you lack the common social skill of conversation as I have never once lectured anyone on whether they should wear helmets as I have no interest in what anyone else does. Live an let live is my motto. On that note....you really bore me, bye!:hello:

You really don't get it do you, it is obvious you lack the common social skill of conversation as I have never once lectured anyone on whether they should wear helmets as I have no interest in what anyone else does.

I don't care whether you do or not as long as you don't turn up in my A&E after coming off

Petards and hoists and all that.

You don't bore me by the way. I find the comment of a "lack of the common social skills of conversation" coming from someone who has communicated by a series of ad hominem attacks highly amusing. And the fact that you keep coming back to throw another one in when you said an hour ago you were off for a ride. Short ride was it or have you been sat at the computer all that time waiting for another of my "boring" posts to attack?

lukesdad

Red Light not once have i said that Im pro helmet i hardly ever wear one. Your comment just goes to show that you never actually take on board what anybody posts on here. You are on some sort of crusade and with this as such. Im out.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Ermmmm, what was the thread about again?

Ahhhh, should you tell your mate? I wouldn't bother. I regularly pass ninjas. Surely, when they see me, all lit up with 2 ultra bright front lights, 2 ultra bright rear lights, with an additional helmet torch and rear helmet light, hi viz vest, and panniers covered in hiviz reflective stickers, it should give them pause for thought? A visual display is far more effective (and less likely to offend) than trying to lecture folk. If they see me and still think it's safe to dress in black and remain umlit then so be it. Hopefully when a car nearly takes them out and swerves at the last moment, that car driver will become a little more 'cyclist aware' and thus even more likely to see a well lit up individual like myself, so thanks ninja man. If however the driver doesn't swerve at the last moment, then some poor kid may get that new kidney he's been desperately waiting for.

As for your mate pavement riding......you pass him regularly whilst road riding, and he hasn't got the message? That's down to him, and as long as he's pedestrian aware I don't see the harm. Some commuters like to ride slow, I should know as I blast past half a dozen 10mph'ers every day!

Helmets? I wear one, and don't care if others do or don't (that transplant list isn't getting any shorter)....but arguments about saving you aside, I have a baldy head and it keeps it warm.

That's one fact that cannot be disputed.:thumbsup:

I have a baldy head and it keeps it warm.

That's one fact that cannot be disputed.:thumbsup:

"The Specialized Propero offers road riders fantastic breathability, even on intense rides; it accomplishes this with a 4th Dimensional Cooling System with strategically placed vents that have been tested in a wind tunnel for ultimate cooling" ;)

potsy

Rambler
"The Specialized Propero offers road riders fantastic breathability, even on intense rides; it accomplishes this with a 4th Dimensional Cooling System with strategically placed vents that have been tested in a wind tunnel for ultimate cooling" ;)

Maybe he wears it back to front :biggrin:

Maybe he wears it back to front :biggrin:

Nah, its a 4th Dimensional Cooling System. So you cycle forward in time to get cooling, backwards in time for heating ;)

StuartG

slower but further
If he really is a mate why aren't you riding with him?

Ride alongside in the road, do the right thing. Let him see it is usually easier and more comfortable. Just quietly set an example and he might just follow the bits that are useful for him. It could be that he feels uncomfortable riding on the road and needs a buddy. Lights? well they are not important unless you are on the road!

This thread's message is never, ever mention H*****S.

Just be a mate ...

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
Lights? well they are not important unless you are on the road!

What about every time he crosses a side road? IMHO, this is the most dangerous aspect of pavement riding even when you're lit up like a Christmas tree. I've seen quite a few ninjas nearly taken out by left turning traffic.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Lights are not much use when you are at right angles to the traffic. That's what wheel reflectors are for ...

Reflectors are not much use in that situation either, unless the traffic also has lights that are pointing your way. That's not the case with a car at a side road and you along the pavement (general you and yours).

If he's crossing the road, then it's already too late for the visibility of reflectors to avert a collision.

OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
Not sure most of you actually read what I was saying. I did try to state in the OP that the lack of helmet thing doesn't "bother" me, and that it was more an observation as to how this guy operates.
I am not sure I would be waring a lid if my misses hadn't made me do so from day one but now I do. I don't have an issue with people opting not to have one. What concerned me with this mate of mine, is battering down the pavements and cruising about at night with zero illumination. Seems like a bad plan to me.

Chill Winston.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Not sure most of you actually read what I was saying. I did try to state in the OP that the lack of helmet thing doesn't "bother" me, and that it was more an observation as to how this guy operates.
I am not sure I would be waring a lid if my misses hadn't made me do so from day one but now I do. I don't have an issue with people opting not to have one. What concerned me with this mate of mine, is battering down the pavements and cruising about at night with zero illumination. Seems like a bad plan to me.

Chill Winston.

Never mind that, what did you say to him?

Top Bottom