Should I report this guy? (vid)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Definitely report it - however, make sure you have the correct registration (as has been said, the one provided is not legal/right). There are sites where you can put the reg in and check if it comes out as the correct vehicle (Google it or someone may be able to provide a link) - that idiot should not be on the road!!!!! :tongue::cheers:!

blazed

220lb+
He got a bit close although it probably looked worse in the video than it actually was, but he didn't really do anything wrong. You should have made more of an effort to let him him know you were getting ready to pass the parked car.

Origamist

Legendary Member
blazed said:
He got a bit close although it probably looked worse in the video than it actually was, but he didn't really do anything wrong. You should have made more of an effort to let him him know you were getting ready to pass the parked car.

Yeah, the cyclist should have exploded like a giant firework - that might have got the driver's attention, but I doubt it...

blazed

220lb+
Origamist said:
Yeah, the cyclist should have exploded like a giant firework - that might have got the driver's attention, but I doubt it...
When the lorry goes past you can see his left indicator where he is turning back in, he probably had his right on before as well. The cyclist does nothing, just assumes he can pass the car nearer the middle of the lane without checking whats behind him. Which is another point that was a nasty loud lorry not exactly going fast, why didn't he even know it was coming? More arrogance from the cyclists part.

Origamist

Legendary Member
blazed said:
When the lorry goes past you can see his left indicator where he is turning back in, he probably had his right on before as well. The cyclist does nothing, just assumes he can pass the car nearer the middle of the lane without checking whats behind him. Which is another point that was a nasty loud lorry not exactly going fast, why didn't he even know it was coming? More arrogance from the cyclists part.

We've got a live one here, guys and gals!

1. The cyclist does look behind. The HGV did not want to brake.

2. How are you going to make "more of an effort to let him him know you were getting ready to pass the parked car"?

blazed

220lb+
Origamist said:
We've got a live one here, guys and gals!

1. The cyclist does look behind. The HGV did not want to brake. Watch how the oncoming car is forced to slow...

2. How are you going to make "more of an effort to let him him know you were getting ready to pass the parked car"?

He looks back once at the start of the video the carries on and is about to go past without looking. If you was in a car you would be checking your wind mirrors, let alone on a bike.

The car slows down to let the lorry past, which he would have done whatever speed the lorry was going. The cars are parked on his side of the road so he pulls in behind a focus, and lets the already oncoming vehicle past. The lorry is not speeding.

If he had looked behind a few more times god forbid he could have actually stopped and waited for the lorry to go pass then continue past the parked car. Cyclists do everything possible never to stop which is why most accidents happen.

Origamist

Legendary Member
blazed said:
He looks back once at the start of the video the carries on and is about to go past without looking. If you was in a car you would be checking your wind mirrors, let alone on a bike.

The car slows down to let the lorry past, which he would have done whatever speed the lorry was going. The cars are parked on his side of the road so he pulls in behind a focus, and lets the already oncoming vehicle past. The lorry is not speeding.

If he had looked behind a few more times god forbid he could have actually stopped and waited for the lorry to go pass then continue past the parked car. Cyclists do everything possible never to stop which is why most accidents happen.

Right, so the cyclist does not "do nothing" as you stated earlier.

Speeding is not the issue - what matters is driving at the appropriate speed for the conditions. There were parked cars, oncoming traffic and a cyclist to negotiate. The overtake endangered another road user. You seem to think it was perfectly fine...

If you think that was a sensible overtake you must have poor hazard perception skills - how do think that would have been assessed if the HGV driver was taking his test?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As the video starts with a look behind we have no idea whether he had already looked behind before that point, the lorry seemed to be approaching at quite a speed given the parked cars up ahead, an on coming car and a cyclist, so may have been quite a bit further back if the OP had looked behind earlier. I would say that the speed of the lorry was inappropriate given that he didn't know what the cyclist or car driver were going to do - effectively he bullied his way through on account of size.

g00se

Veteran
blazed said:
When the lorry goes past you can see his left indicator where he is turning back in, he probably had his right on before as well.

Have a look again - it's the trucker coming off of the brakes - not the indicator. Maybe he was making sure the oncoming car was going to pull in, At the speed he was going though, I doubt he would be able to stop if it hadn't!!!!

blazed

220lb+
Origamist said:
Could you supply some evidence, please?
I'm practically a piranha on the road and i never have any problems, most riders here and you as well just don't know what they're doing out on the street.

Origamist

Legendary Member
blazed said:
I'm practically a piranha on the road and i never have any problems, most riders here and you as well just don't know what they're doing out on the street.

Wow, comparing yourself to a piranha - that's your supporting evidence for this claim: "Cyclists do everything possible never to stop which is why most accidents happen".

Another question, what do those hatched markings in the middle of the road mean, blazed?

OP
OP
J

jonredhornet

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm not in work this Friday so I might pop down to my local Police station then, if I still feel inclined that is. Will let you know how I get on.

Regarding the reg, from looking at the raw footage and pausing as he goes past the reg does indeed look like FE31XJA. However this is obviously nonsense and I do read out the reg nearer the roundabout on the video as F531XJA. It is the second digit that is in doubt, and both registrations seem odd. I'll check the raw footage again tonight frame by frame.

Regarding HGV drivers in general. I actually have a high regard for their driving and have commented in conversation in the past that I think HGV drivers and traffic Police (definitely not referring to your average plod here driving their 'jam sandwich') are some of the best drivers on the road. And I think in general there is an element of truth in that statement, in my experience anyway.

I think BADGER.BRAD is correct and that the driver didn't want to have to change down his gears. I can understand that, but to place a vulnerable road user in so much danger like that just isn't on. I'm sure you'd all agree, the most important thing to consider when driving / riding is safety - safety trumps all other considerations. That didn't happen in this case.

blazed

220lb+
Origamist said:
Wow, comparing yourself to a piranha - that's your supporting evidence for this claim: "Cyclists do everything possible never to stop which is why most accidents happen".

Another question, what do those hatched markings in the middle of the road mean, blazed?
He barely entered the markings, but he had no choice since there was a parked car and dithering cyclist in the way. And yes it was safe to enter the markings.

Top Bottom