Should I report this guy? (vid)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
magnatom said:
Report. No question.

Oh and I think the registration is probably FE51XJA. Someone could possibly confirm if that HGV was a FODEN ALPHA 3000.

This reg seems more likely as its the only one that shows as a lorry cab in the insurance search that I could find.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
blazed said:
Well done you could well of cost the man his job because of one harmless mistake.
Please ignore this cock.

blazed

220lb+
summerdays said:
What if the cyclist hadn't looked back and had simply pulled out around the car - I see loads do that every day. I think the lorry driver was going too fast to have done anything other than hit him or one of the parked cars or perhaps the on coming car. It was not a harmless mistake - it was a mistake that had a lucky outcome not through the actions of the lorry driver. He at least needs to have some additional training.

I wasnt talking about the lorry driver losing his job but the bus driver that other poster said she reported. When you are driving all day you are bound to have the odd little mistake here and there it is not worth losing someones job over.

Driving i have tons of situations which i think that was close, i dont take down everyones number plate and report them all, that seems to be exclusive to cyclists and various other busy bodies. Most people can move on without crying about it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I doubt whether anyone looses their job over a close call - based on someone's word. They don't even seem to loose their job with video evidence. However if they had multiple such reports against their name I would hope that they would have their driving supervised and additional training given if necessary. If you are driving all day long then you need to be an excellent driver rather than an average one.

Car drivers when they have close calls / accidents are more likely to call the insurance department to fix up the bump. A small bump to a car could cause significantly more damage to a cyclist or pedestrian. Yes I have had accidents which I was slightly hit by other vehicles and yes I reported them to the police. No action taken in either case.

Jake

i think if he had taken the primary and stayed out more, the lorry would have just have ran him over and kept going. At that speed there was no way to stop. sometimes you got to pull over if you think your in danger rather then stick it out.

thomas

the tank engine
tdr1nka said:
If you intend to pull out and have traffic behind you then you should really signal your intentions.
'Cars don't do this' is a poor excuse and doesn't do anything for you communicating to the traffic around you which, the OP aside, could well be to the benefit of your safety.

You don't need to signal past stuff like this. The lorry driver obviously realised he could just push the Jon out of the way.

I'd say report this to the police, but don't expect an outcome. When a Tesco lorry pulled in too soon and came past close I phoned their hows my driving and they spoke to the driver and apologised.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
thomas said:
You don't need to signal past stuff like this. The lorry driver obviously realised he could just push the Jon out of the way.

I'd say report this to the police, but don't expect an outcome. When a Tesco lorry pulled in too soon and came past close I phoned their hows my driving and they spoke to the driver and apologised.

Sure, you don't 'need to' but giving following traffic some idea of your intentions is part of communicating with the traffic around us.

purplepolly

4F said:
Have you got bored of the LBS thread and decided to troll this one now ?

:biggrin:

That was my first thought on Sunday, 4 days after blazed appeared.

The second thought was, what did he used to be called on cyclechat?

OP
OP
J

jonredhornet

Just watched the raw footage again, and the registration is FE51 XJA. Good call guys.

Regarding the additional 'life saver' observations, I agree that you can't do enough of these. From looking at the video though only 4 seconds pass between my observation and the lorry passing me. In terms of prior observations, I'd just pulled right onto that road a few seconds before from a junction and you can clearly see the lorry but he is a long distance back at this point. My bad that I didn't clock how quickly he was going.

This is very close to the start of my commute and I clipped the video to try and maintain some anonymity. Most users here seem like a great bunch of people, but you never know who you'll meet online. This blazed character for instance, so blinded by his precoinscieved opinion of cyclists that he spouts unreasoned opinions on this forum. I'd prefer people with this skewed mindset to know as little about me as possible :biggrin:

Thanks again for your opinions, it's helpful to hear what other cyclists think.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Blazed is simply trolling and sadly under the misapprehension that we could give a sh*te.:evil:

I can't recommend enough the drill of checking the road behind you regularly on main routes with vehicles this size 'sharing' the space.

I ride the A2 in South London daily and see a lot of cyclists fiercely peddling away oblivious to traffic building up behind them and then getting in a twist when a bus or lorry passes them even when leaving a sufficient gap.:biggrin:

The more information you have to hand, the better the decision you can make.

tdr1nka said:
Blazed is simply trolling and sadly under the misapprehension that we could give a sh*te.:biggrin:

Aye he is indeed. And to be frank, he isn't particulary good at it. A good troll is one that manages to wind people up in such a way that it takes regulars at least two or three posts to realise that they are a troll. Not the first.

I've had a much better quality of troll on my threads...;):biggrin::becool:

So who wants to start a book on blazers previous identity!?

Jim_Noir

Why do people worry about reporting a driver because he might lose his job? If you effe up at work no one is going to say a word incase you get the p45 are they? And more to the point how many of us would kill someone with one slip up in work? Thankfully yhe OP wasn't at that park car or we would be hearing of another death due to a lorry driver.

purplepolly

magnatom said:
So who wants to start a book on blazers previous identity!?

Hmm I expect he must have posted a lot on one of your helmetcam threads, blazed was quite keen on your video in the cycling in the middle of the lane thread on beginners.

Top Bottom