Should I...shouldn't I?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know that I really want it. I'd been waiting on an idea of price, I did not expect it to be as little as 41% of RRP :ohmy:
I'm awful when it comes to big reductions (I get it from my father!)
I need to find a shop to look at it. There are two Genesis dealers within an hours drive and I'm off work tomorrow :whistle:

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
OK, clearly I don't 'need' it but I have been offered the opportunity to get this for somewhat less than half the RRP (from a totally legitimate source).

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/equilibrium-disc-2020

Pros...
it's new and shiny
I love my rim brake Equilibrium
It's a very good price and I have never been able to resist a bargain

Cons...
Shimano groupset / hydraulic discs (could also be a pro once used to it)
Half of the paintwork is black :ohmy: (so is the tape but that can be changed ;) ) I've not seen it in the metal yet
I have a perfectly good alu disc braked bike (and new wheels waiting to be fitted)
I also have a titanium disc braked bike which needs a pedal change from SPD to flats but is virtually unridden :blush: (I even have the new pedals :rolleyes:
I'd need to sell at least one bike to create space

Ummmm
I love the paint job & I like the components. Sell a bike & go for it. You only live once.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
List at £2,200 sounds a lot to me for what is a nice, but plain Jane, steel road bike.

Is the tubing extra special or is there anything else I've missed?
Reynolds 725

I wouldn’t be considering it at RRP. That puts it into Condor territory.
Then again I’m not :smile:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

The bike is nice but out of my price range, I'm running a flyer which is a fixed, I like the Genesis bikes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Reynolds 725

Tube types are not really my thing, but I'm told the higher the number the better which I reckon makes this bike pretty good.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I see you feel obliged not to sell it straight away, but presumably might do so in nine months or a year's time.

If you can get it for under a grand you could probably move it on for a loss of only a few hundred.

That's relatively cheap for a year's worth of new bike fun.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I see you feel obliged not to sell it straight away, but presumably might do so in nine months or a year's time.

If you can get it for under a grand you could probably move it on for a loss of only a few hundred.

That's relatively cheap for a year's worth of new bike fun.
It’ll be around £900 :blush:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Tube types are not really my thing, but I'm told the higher the number the better which I reckon makes this bike pretty good.

Reynolds 725 is a higher-strength, heat-treated version of 525, which itself is a cro-moly alloy roughly equivalent to, and the replacement for, the legendary 531 mang-moly steel. 725 is pretty much as good as the heat-treated variant of 531, known as 753, used to be. The main difference between the modern Reynolds tubing and the old-school stuff is less Manganese content in the current tubing, and it can be welded. I would own a 525 or 725 frame with no hesitation, it is a very high quality steel, although I am perfectly satisfied with my lugged Reynolds 500, 501, and 531 bikes and do not intend to replace them.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Get it @vickster if you like it.
Personally, I would not buy a Genesis again.
Got mine a few years ago on sale, because my main commuter was stolen.
The Genesis was a good price and looked good.
Sadly, the mechanical disk brakes never did brake, changed them for hydrolic.
My Genesis is now 6,000 miles old, still don't really like the ride.
Guess the frame is just wrong for my body ^_^

Top Bottom