Should I throw out my collection of vinyl?

Should I fling out my collection of vinyl

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Hundreds and hundreds of LP's almost exclusively from the early seventies.
They're taking up too much space, many of them are scratched and hissy and haven't been listened to for years.
AND I already have digital versions (backed up in several places) of the stuff I would want to retain.
Sounds a no-brainer, eh, but I'm finding it really difficult the fling them all in the wheelie bin.
Your verdict will decide their fate.

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm also a hoarder so know how you feel, but be honest we both know the answer 'dump em'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TVC

There are plenty of online shops selling old vinyl, it might be worth checking if any of yours are worth anything. Tip: Anything by The Nolans or The Wombles most likely isn't.

You might raise enough for some new bar tape.

Throw out? Sacrilege.

Get yourself a even a budget turntable ands start listening to that music the way its creators intended.

Who knows, you may get the bug and start buying new vinyl too.

If you do throw it out, throw it my way. As long as it isn't actually worn out, it's amazing how well old vinyl cleans up with the right tools.

f

Hmmm, voting even so far ...

Wolf04

If you are already asking the question, then yes absolutely. I too have limited storage space. I have in the past disposed of my vinyl collection followed by my cassette collection and have even rationalised my CDs.
There is a lot of hype around vinyl, yes if in perfect condition and with good equipment it gives the best sound but as you say your collection are sounding hissy. Time to move on. It's about the music not which form of media it's stored on.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. 3 weeks later you'll be watching some BBC prog about car boots and see the true value of the collection. Then again, flog em all and get a Cervelo P3C.

Mr Pig

Dumping it is the worst option!

I wouldn't give it to Oxfam. They used to sell records in all of their shops but now ship them to dedicated Oxfam record shops. Which sounds great, except that they charge very high 'rip off' prices for them. That irks me because they get them for nothing, and to me the other side of the 'charity shop' coin is giving buyers a bargain. So I'd give them to a shop less greedy if you do go down that road.

Or sell them to a vinyl shop. You'll not get a lot for them, but something. I can put youin touch with a guy who buys and sells vinyl for a living, he might be able to help you out.

And I'll be happy to take some too if you feel charitable ;0) I'll pay the postage. Vinyl still sounds great, I listen to it a lot.

I'd also recommend keeping the best ones and getting a turntable. A cheapo one is a waste of time but even a moderate one will sound good and quieten down those scratches for you ;0)

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
oooerr, this isn't going the way I had hoped.....or is it?
I need the space, but the thing is, every one holds a memory.
I have the wherewithall to play them (turntable amp etc.), but again, not the space to set it all up in addition to my current music playing set-up.

yello

betty swollocks said:
every one holds a memory.

And there you have it my friend.

Unless you really really really need the space, hang on to them. I sold a lot of stuff when I moved over to the UK from NZ and I have regretted it. A lot of it was definitely what some would call crap, hardly any of it was what might be called iconic... but it was all mine and bought for the whatever reason. I'm damn sure I could replace most of it but that's not really the point either. I surprise myself, but sometimes I do have strange calls from the past to listen to, um, 'String Driven Thing' or some such. And it has to be my album, not a YouTube link or something.

Top Bottom