Shoved off bike by double decker bus !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camgreen

If it was a school bus then surely it'll be contracted on behalf of the council? Wouldn't have thought they or the school the little kiddiewinkies are being transported to/from will be exactly enamoured by this driver (and the company he represents) conduct and skills. Do some more digging and bring pressure to bear from as many angles as possible. The driver is reckless (at best!) and shouldn't be allowed to be in-charge of minors; speaking of which, shouldn't there be an additional adult (and therefore another source of witness) on a school bus?

sabian92

Über Member
If it was a school bus then surely it'll be contracted on behalf of the council? Wouldn't have thought they or the school the little kiddiewinkies are being transported to/from will be exactly enamoured by this driver (and the company he represents) conduct and skills. Do some more digging and bring pressure to bear from as many angles as possible. The driver is reckless (at best!) and shouldn't be allowed to be in-charge of minors; speaking of which, shouldn't there be an additional adult (and therefore another source of witness) on a school bus?

I used a council bus service when I was at school, and apart from the council making a bloody fortune out of it by charging each pupil £600+ a year, they only ever had a driver on there, nobody else. They used to sometimes surprise us by putting a pass inspector on, which meant if we didn't have a pass we'd have to walk 10 miles home, but that's about it. The council are still knobs either way.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glad you held it relatively together. TBH anyone driving a vehicle at you deliberately gets you a little narked - the last one that did that to me got a visit from the cops, and intelligence 'added' to the list against the driver - he had previous.

The only person I've chased after recently was a bin wagon, brushed past me at speed - I was livid - chased the bugger up a long 10% hill (I've got the Garmin stats and my HR was popping over 190) - just about managed to blurt out about his driving, in between gasping for oxygen. The guy did apologise though - it was either me or an oncoming car, he said - he chose me ! :wacko: He also got reported though, but just to the council.

Be entertaining to hear the driver's response. I might have done unmentionable things to anyone throwing my bike - like shove my mini pump where the sun doesn't shine !

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Aren't bus drivers like that the reason for easily accessible emergency engine stop controls? :whistle:

I know you speak in gallows humour...

Older buses had them on the outside of the back. Modern have them inside near the cab under a panel iirc. You cant access it yourself anymore in most cases. Also pressing it whilst in transit would be like stalling the engine at speed and slamming the brakes on. Could seriously injure the passengers and it aint their fault imo.

abo

What a complete bellend :/ Hope you get a result from this one

I simply don't believe this story.

I can't believe you encountered a bus driver who could understand and speak English.

Well frankly that's a stupid, ignorant and pointless comment that ranks alongside the usual daily fail ramblings about cyclists and road tax for its irrelevance and inaccurate prejudice.

No need for it at all.

I know a couple of cycling English bus drivers just to shatter your illusions and add to your disbelief.

PBancroft

This is really what makes me sad. I still stand by what I've always said - the VAST majority of drivers are pretty good, if not excellent in their attitude and behaviour around cyclists, but its this minority who think its OK to act like this, even potentially injure/kill someone. It's OK, its only a cyclist, innit. The James Martins of the world.

I hope you get a good response from the company. If you know the school, take it up with them too. Take heart that the one kid did stand up - they're only kids so have got through most of their life so far by keeping their head down. Even if it took prompting that one has backbone and has a decent strength of character - hopefully he taught his mates a valuable lesson too.

Mawsley

I know a couple of cycling English bus drivers

Good for you.

See if they can help you to find wherever you've misplaced your sense of humour.

Screenshot2011-05-04at192315.png

Good for you.

See if they can help you to find wherever you've misplaced your sense of humour.

Screenshot2011-05-04at192315.png

Yeah, heard the one about "what do you do when you run over a cyclist?"

It's not far removed from the "what do you do when you run over a p**i?"

Hahahahaha great fun. Not. I happen to know the difference between humour and poison. Bringing the issue of immigrant workers into a thread about a seriously nasty incident which, it seems, has NOTHING to do with immigrant labourers refusing to learn the English language...erm...sorrry...where is the great laugh in that?

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
C'mon guys :thumbsup: handbags down :biggrin:
Been to make a statement tonight, the police are considering taking action at two levels, one for the tipping me off the bike and one for criminal damage perhaps.
Bus company identified, registration confirmed, they only have to identify who was actually driving. I suspect the company already expected something, i rang them this afternoon to see if it was thier vehicle and if it was, was it covered by CCTV and if so, to protect the footage pending police investigation. The guy on the other end of the phone knew about the incident so i guess the driver has notified his company.
And thats it for now, just waiting for an officer to be assigned and we'll see where it goes.

The bike on closer inspection...
Nasty ding to the front wheel
Saddle scuffed.
Handlebar tape and bar ends damaged
Bent chainring
Possibly slight damage to the cassette.
Various light scratches to the paintwork
Carbon forks will need inspection
light scuffing to the RD

Its a shame, it was my pride and joy and now it just lookes scruffy. I need to see how to progress repairs, and who's going to pay, and when. i estimate if the LBS does it all, it'll be IRO £200.

Thanks for all your comments and well wishes :thumbsup: Only a couple aches and pains, i'll soon mend...winter commuters coming out for now then.

Good luck with it...

I would have concerns about the forks to be honest

Thing is...if it was a CAR, no-one would expect you to accept even just a slight scratch...so why should you accept anything other than compete restoration to the exact condition beforehand?

(Though I should be telling myself that too with my recent altercation)

Top Bottom