Show us your Axe - a Guitar & Bass slingers thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You've not changed much in the last 56 years, Pete

Neither's his guitar playing.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Years ago I taught a lad who had one of those. It was boat anchor heavy and the pots were just weird! You had no idea how far up or down you had turned them. I'm sure you'd get used to them, but it just seemed like a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

I think the roller style pots were just to try and make something different from the norm to hopefully sell more guitars. It obviously didn't work and they went bust. I guess you either love them or hate the appearance of them. I just want one to collect to be honest.

Where's the Cumbrian Riviera by they way? Silloth? I'm at Whitehaven :blush:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
My family.
2013-01-16122344_zpsc3d0661b.jpg

Left to right: 80's japanese squire modded with a rather fetching red sparkle paint job and 3 humbuckers (59, kent armstrong, JB). Mid 90's custom shop 54 strat. 52ri tele. Early 2000's Les Paul standard. Peerless Monarch Yamaha f700 steel string acoustic. Paco Castillo 204 nylon string. In front Ibanez s420, Ibanez RG2570.
Not in the pic is my newest. A 65ri sunburst strat - it's an amazing sounding guitar.
DSCF3183_zps79bb1fb6.jpg

These have been acquired over 20 odd years. Most were bought for a particular playing situation/band/gigs. They all get played at gig's and were all chosen after playing and comparing against other similar instruments. For example I went out for an SG, couldn't find a good one, tried what seemed like every Les Paul in Manchester before settling on this one, it was nicer than some big buck historic reissues too!
I'm a musician not a collector.

Love the archtop.

Attachments

• 2013-01-16122344_zpsc3d0661b.jpg
    2013-01-16122344_zpsc3d0661b.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF3183_zps79bb1fb6.jpg
    DSCF3183_zps79bb1fb6.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 43
Not at all!
Not my actual guitar but I do own one: Gibson Epiphone Sheraton Semi-acoustic

$_86.JPG

Nice, it reminds me, of the E335 'dot', as played by Dave Edmunds (Vintage Blonde, I think it's called?)

Dave-Edmunds-DE-7th-449355.jpg

An old (Land Rover driving) friend of mine lives in Silloth

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 36

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I think the roller style pots were just to try and make something different from the norm to hopefully sell more guitars. It obviously didn't work and they went bust. I guess you either love them or hate the appearance of them. I just want one to collect to be honest.

No, South Lakes. I live in a rather quant Victorian town on Morcambe bay:okay:
I agree with you about the rollers. Guitarists are very conservative and rightly so imho.

Bog standard Fender Squier bass, cannae even be arsed taking a pic of it it's so bog-standard.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My 1989 Squier is my 'go to' guitar. It's had most of it's Squier parts replaced with Fender parts over the years. Sounds fantastic and I love him to bits. I was offered proper money for him about 6 months ago but he's not for sale.
IMG_3557.jpg

Takamine G series, Chord Concert size Ukulele and my lovely Epiphone Dove.
IMG_3649_1.jpg

Slightly tatty, seafoam 'Vintage' (Brand, not description) Strat with Wilkinson pickups and rosewood neck. Great fun to play, especially for Malmsteen, Vai etc as the action is so darned low. Found him, unloved, in a junk shop and sorted him out. Quite possibly going to live next door at my neighbours as she would like to buy it for her son,
IMG_3553.jpg

Epiphone Les Paul. Technically Hubster's but he never plays it. I play it fairly regularly as I feel a bit sorry for it. He's talked about selling it but it's still here.
DSCN1869%20643x1280.jpg

There is a Peavey Bass tucked around the corner. Not mine but Hubster's. He doesn't play that either. I dust it every week but will organise him some lessons with our Mitch, at work to get him inspired. Mitch is an awesome Bass player and an awesomer teacher.

Attachments

• IMG_3557.jpg
    IMG_3557.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3649_1.jpg
    IMG_3649_1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN1869%20643x1280.jpg
    DSCN1869%20643x1280.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 35

Rafferty

001.JPG

The one on the left doesn't have a name as I made this myself from scratch. The body is made from the remains of an oak kitchen worktop. The pick guard is made from a blank piece, the neck is made from a blank and the rest is a variety of parts I picked up over the years. I did the wiring myself as well. The one on the right is my favourite Tele made from swamp ash.

Top Bottom