Show us your Axe - a Guitar & Bass slingers thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
My 1980s Fender Strat Deluxe, with my favourite combo amp.

I really MUST get back into playing.

20150114_065423.jpg

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
View attachment 89483
The one on the left doesn't have a name as I made this myself from scratch. The body is made from the remains of an oak kitchen worktop. The pick guard is made from a blank piece, the neck is made from a blank and the rest is a variety of parts I picked up over the years. I did the wiring myself as well. The one on the right is my favourite Tele made from swamp ash.
I like that you built your own from bits because it's something I could never contemplate doing.

Very rudimentary carpentry skills & I am scared of wires.. or the electricity that runs through them anyway.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
View attachment 89484
Another of my Telecasters.
It's hard to beat a nice bit of telecaster.
Nearly bought a Strat Plus Deluxe in the late 80's early 90's.
A friend had one in the late 90's. It was a great guitar, but there was 'something' lacking when compared to a 'proper' single coil strat. We did back to back tests with another strat and the difference was pretty obvious.
It never ceases to amaze me that Leo Fender got it so right with the tele, strat, precision and jazz basses.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It's hard to beat a nice bit of telecaster.

A friend had one in the late 90's. It was a great guitar, but there was 'something' lacking when compared to a 'proper' single coil strat. We did back to back tests with another strat and the difference was pretty obvious.
It never ceases to amaze me that Leo Fender got it so right with the tele, strat, precision and jazz basses.
And yet at the time they took the Piss Mickey out of him calling the early ones 'canoe paddles' or 'Planks' a moniker the Telecaster wears with pride,
here is Steve Walwyn with 'the plank' his Tele

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3Jl11PhIM&feature=player_detailpage
Edit- If it comes up on the end of the video on watching, click onto Shotgun Blues, first time I've ever seen that..........................Steve at his best. You'd like this @Saluki

Last edited:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
And yet at the time they took the Piss Mickey out of him calling the early ones 'canoe paddles' or 'Planks' a moniker the Telecaster wears with pride,
Indeed, however they did sell plenty of them. If I remember rightly that quote comes from Don Randall, Fenders rep on the road. I suspect it came from the music shops taking one look at the bound edge sunburst gibsons on their shop floor and thinking out loud that it wouldn't work out. Leo had spent time with musicians finding out what they wanted.
I think it was the perfect storm of American post war affluence, the search for something new and modern and of course the rising popularity of urban blues/rock n roll with the youth of the day.

There are some great Fender history books out there. Forest Whites book is good, as is "The sound heard around the world" good reads both of them.

Rafferty

View attachment 89483
The one on the left doesn't have a name as I made this myself from scratch. The body is made from the remains of an oak kitchen worktop. The pick guard is made from a blank piece, the neck is made from a blank and the rest is a variety of parts I picked up over the years. I did the wiring myself as well. The one on the right is my favourite Tele made from swamp ash.
I've decided to call the one I made a 'Les Plank Junior'. (Double cut).

Top Bottom