Show us your.. cycle helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Batgirl

In Disguise!
Another item on my 'to get' list is a cycle helmet, my deliberation is that I wear a baseball cap a lot in bright sunshine and or rain to keep my glasses dry and stop myself getting a headache (from the sun).

I am intrigued to know if you get around this with your cycle helmet or if I should be looking at wearing a hat under a cycle helmet?

So if you don't mind.. will you show us your cyclem helmet please?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
upload_2014-9-2_6-19-7.jpeg

spesh echelon
zoom_400PX_asset_19832156.jpg

Decathlon sport 7
41MVQaT0pjL._SX300_.jpg

prowell r66

+1 for the buff

One trick I use in hot weather is to soak it in water and then place in freezer at work

Then when you put it on for the evening commute home it cools you down nicely.

On touring or long days, a glass of iced water does the trick as well

ALso if you are "follicularly chalenged", it stops the iteresting sun burn pattern on your noble pate from the helmet vents

OP
OP
Batgirl

Batgirl

In Disguise!
You can get specific caps that go under helmets , i use a buff under mine .

+1 for the buff

One trick I use in hot weather is to soak it in water and then place in freezer at work

Then when you put it on for the evening commute home it cools you down nicely.

On touring or long days, a glass of iced water does the trick as well

ALso if you are "follicularly chalenged", it stops the iteresting sun burn pattern on your noble pate from the helmet vents
Thanks again :smile: will google Buff hats.. and also remember your trick for freezing. :smile:
haha I'm female with long hair but it makes sense about the patterned head! :tongue:

edited to say - I'd need a peak for eye shade protection against headaches comes via my eyes , but they look great products though for colder days too and would work cold / wet on a warm day for sure.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You can get specific caps that go under helmets , i use a buff under mine .
I just use a cycle cap under mine.

IME, the peak sits in a more useful position than the peak on a peaked helmet for keeping sun and rain out of your eyes.

If you are wearing something under a helmet, make sure you try the helmet on with it - some can fit closely enough that a cap will spoil the fit.

If you're a fan of particular procycling teams, a cap can be a subtle way to indicate your support (compared to going full kit). If not, Prendas' multi offers should let you get a nice selection. http://www.prendas.co.uk/cycle-clothing/hats-headwear/cotton-cycling-caps.html?dir=asc&order=price

vickster

Legendary Member
I use a Uvex Boss Race, I tried about 10 before settling on that. I use a Specialized Echelon for commuting, although comfortable it does look dreadful on me, bad mushroom shape. I have lots of hair and sport the spaniel look!!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Depending on the ride I may or may not bother. For commuting I don't - although that's partly because I get a kick out of passing raodies in full lycra on my Brompton wearing a suit.

Steady

Über Member
I use to be the same, using a normal peak cap to shield the elements, but got a helmet to keep those close happy.

Initially I went for one with a peak visor attached to the helmet but eventually took it off as it limited my view, and made me strain my neck.

I've endured the sun by squinting and kept out of the rain fortunately so far. I'm searching for one that doesn't turn my head into a mushroom but that may take a while.

Mine is the Decathlon Sport 5, female version (in other words just smaller with a splash of pink otherwise it obviously wouldn't be female.)

Drago

Legendary Member
Giro Hex, Giro Xar, Poc MTB lids, Giro and Cannondale road lids, several Spesh police lids of different ages/condition.

The last thing in the world I'm likely to take a photo of.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
For a long time I have found that my Bell Solar suits me fine and looks a bit road-y, but I succumbed and bought a grey Lidl helmet in their recent sale as it has a visor and a rear light - all for £9.99. I will use it for commuting all year round.

The Lidl lid has ample ventilation and fits my bonce very well. In-mould construction weight 280g.

Top Bottom