Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

moo

I decided to give the the first half of the Dunwich dynamo route a test run today. The roads were nice and quiet with comfortable rolling hills - I didn't have to leave the big ring once.

3 imperial centuries in as many weeks. Time for cake :smile:

http://www.strava.com/activities/201151485

matth411

Veteran
Plenty of progress recently I see. Well done all. I am having a bit of a nightmare at the moment with bottle cages. The one I had snapped the other day as I put my bottle in so I took it off, but the nutsert thing came out with it. So I patched that up temporarily and emailed a few bike shops to see if its possible to just get another nutsert and put it in. A few said the bike might have to back to Specialized. I know what you're thinking, what about the one on the downtube? Well when I originally tried to put a cage on there the screw buggered up and ripped away any thread that was there. When bike went in for its service I asked about it and the shop said they wouldn't be able to tap it. I now have no bottle cage mounts, but have 2 new bottle cages on their way. Need to take the bike to a few shops to see what their opinion is. Don't want a botch job.
Happy cycling guys and girls.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I decided to give the the first half of the Dunwich dynamo route a test run today. The roads were nice and quiet with comfortable rolling hills - I didn't have to leave the big ring once.

3 imperial centuries in as many weeks. Time for cake :smile:

http://www.strava.com/activities/201151485

What are you doing posting in the beginners section! Epic rides well done, I only hope I can do similar on Sunday!

D

Deleted member 18052

Not been out for 3 weeks as I've been working the first and 2nd week off last week and now injured :sad:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I've only been riding for 9 months, so still a relative novice :smile:

I'm sure you'll be fine. It should be easier to do 100 in a sportive than the 70 you did solo.

Yes somebody else said that too, let's hope so. I'm not going to get out much this week due to my OH working late most nights so not going to get anymore training rides in, apart from maybe Friday but then wouldn't want to go too far too close to Sunday. My right calf muscle is a bit tight so need to let that calm down aswell. I've borrowed mates turbo and set that up in the garage on my old mtb so will at least be able to spin the legs a bit when the calf feels better.

I've only been riding for 9 months, so still a relative novice :smile:

I'm sure you'll be fine. It should be easier to do 100 in a sportive than the 70 you did solo.
That's what I am hoping for mine. It seemed a long ride to do 88 solo.

@Stonechat Bob you will breeze it, my first 100km is Nov 2012 seemed a long way, these days its nothing (I haven't done it often this year though only four compared with 8 last year) as did the only 100 mile day I did, but as I broke it up into two 50 mile rides it didn't seem so bad but the last 10-15 miles seemed a long way more due to trying to make it up as it wasn't planned.

Yes Ifound the London to Brighton easier than expected (even though I had to cycle to Clapham first)
The initial slow pace due to traffic, lights and slow cyclists probably helped
I try and do this for the first 5 miles on any ride, though the rout I took yesterday the start really didn't help, I actually set a pb in the first 5 miles by 3mins 40's which when you consider 323ft climbing in those 5 miles (64.6ft/mile) which is getting on towards twice my usual climb rate at an average of 15.5mph, its no wonder I hurt a little today.
http://ridewithgps.com/segments/First-5-miles
Mind you only done that first 5 mile segment 3 times.
Set this p.b. on a 0.4 mile 122ft section, though i guess that might have had to do with seeing if I could do it on the 38x24 ring but i can't remember if I did the stats suggest a 37" gear at its lowest so that would mean at least a 38x27 gear
http://www.strava.com/activities/201007239/segments/4738744533
I have to say though it didn't feel like I had climbing it.

Last edited:

Big_Dave

The unlikely Cyclist
My usual 50 miler, the first/last 7 or 8 or so miles are my toughest in my ride, It has over 600 ft of ascents and descents of 700ft, and same for the last 8 miles section 700ft ascent and 600 decent, and in between the route is "flat"(I use the term "flat" very loosely:laugh:), total for the ride 2700ft (ish) of ascent. I think if I lived in a flatter area my av speed would be better, having said that I still get overtaken around here by 70+ year old blokes on racers from the 1960's:laugh::laugh:, a month or so ago a woman came past me on a dogma that fast I thought I was going backwards:banghead: oops did I just say that out loud :surrender:

@Big_Dave I can do some 50-60 mile rides with 3,000ft or close to that, last time missed by 8ft I think (well according to records) but I am not fast, I think this is my most difficult ride, using a formula based on the climbybike formula, and i haven't done anything close to this, this year.
http://www.strava.com/activities/76702791

Edit according to the formula it was more difficult than the 100 miles I did the month before.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom