Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So i have been convinced to do a 62 mile ride at the end of September, however my longest ride so far is about 30. I am going to try and do a bigger distance for the next 2 weekends and hopefully clock 50miles.

is there any essential that i need to consider for longer rides? I have been suggested that i should invest in some chamois cream?
I think you've missed it, unless you mean next year.

I can make this

FRPXRT58AFS_P1.jpg

Weigh in at 7.957Kg with what I have, plus a few things like cables and seat clamp and chain, so possible under 8.5Kg
Their double Tiagra comes in at 8.84Kg's

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58ALUTIA/planet-x-rt-58-alloy-shimano-tiagra-road-bike

I forgot brakes so up to another 500grms

Last edited:
So i have been convinced to do a 62 mile ride at the end of September, however my longest ride so far is about 30. I am going to try and do a bigger distance for the next 2 weekends and hopefully clock 50miles.

is there any essential that i need to consider for longer rides? I have been suggested that i should invest in some chamois cream?
Ride as much and as far as you can over the next two weeks ease up in the week leading to the event, rest the day or two before, ensure you eat well.

So i have been convinced to do a 62 mile ride at the end of October, however my longest ride so far is about 30. I am going to try and do a bigger distance for the next 2 weekends and hopefully clock 50miles.

Never used anything
Don't have any problems
In fact in the old days with leather saddle and with no padded shorts, I got numb nether regions, but quite OK now. Still think I might benefit from a better saddle

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Never used anything
Don't have any problems
In fact in the old days with leather saddle and with no padded shorts, I got numb nether regions, but quite OK now. Still think I might benefit from a better saddle
Suffering a bit myself again. Felt rubbed raw this morning! Just put a saddle back on with a cut out again. Supposed to be very wet and windy tomorrow anyway so maybe a day off will help too.

I've always liked the look of these bikes, would love to see one in the flesh, so to speak.
Well it will be awhile, but maybe next year. Just stripped a thread for my rack, short term fix a bolt on the inside just enough clearance once filled down a little, I will make a bit thinner later, but need to return a lens to a friend, which is why the frame will be some time yet as I need a new lens, It might be easier to try and save for a complete bike, then transfer the shifters and mechs over with the chainset, but that won't happen next year as I would need a new tiagra triple shifter and a new chainset, so need to find a more permanent solution to the thread, it may be that once I have the nut right the rack may have to be permanent apart from maintenance

Last edited:
and who knows what Shimano will be doing with Tiagra next year, as I think with Sora last year and 105 this, Tiagra may be due an update next, and will it go 11sp and just double like the 105 or will it take the form of the current 105 shifters hidden cables but stay 10sp with a triple.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
@Mo1959 it's good to see you back on the bike :bicycle:
Thanks. :thumbsup: Will take a while to regain full fitness and not sure I will ever be very confident at faster speeds/downhills now but it doesn't matter I suppose. I just want to enjoy the fresh air and the feeling of fitness/wellbeing the cycling brings without putting any pressure on myself worrying about distance and speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom