Show us your.......newbie progress! [4 Sep 2012 - 4 Oct 2014]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
So i have been convinced to do a 62 mile ride at the end of October, however my longest ride so far is about 30. I am going to try and do a bigger distance for the next 2 weekends and hopefully clock 50miles.

is there any essential that i need to consider for longer rides? I have been suggested that i should invest in some chamois cream?

Just a good build up of longish rides and correctly set up bike will help, by that I mean I set my seat slightly too high for me and the ride was agony! Keep moving around - standing up on the pedals, changing your grip on the bars etc etc. I'm doing my first 100 mile sportive on Sunday, my last ride was 71 miles last Sunday and it's taken until today (Thursday) for my right leg to ease up (pulled muscle) so big milages need to be respected as they can hurt! I'm hoping to get out tomorrow night for a gentle 20 or so as a last warm up. I've not had issues with chaffing but I did go out last time without under crackers and now I'm definetly a convert!
Are you using the ventura? How are you getting on with it?

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Lots more progress here. Well done folks.

I managed to get out again this morning. Leg held up quite well, although I was still using my compression garment to support the swelling, so I reckon I should be ok to ride on Sunday and not just be cheerleader for lovely hubby.

Isn't it lovely for October?:becool:

Keep up the good work ^_^

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
First ride for 16 days due to bad back - went ok as well. Was a bit wary going uphill but all seemed fine.

15.36 miles

13.86 av' mph

945' elevation gain - 61.52'/mile

Bit dark in the lanes now with the low afternoon sun - quite hard to see anything at times esp' the guy dressed in black on a black touring bike who I overtook at one point.

Ditched my shorts in favour of my toasty 'longs'. The world breathes a sigh of relief. :smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
@Mo1959 Glad you are back out there - probably sent a shudder through the local sheep population. :laugh:

How's your metalwork holding up?
Thanks. I'll get a better idea next Wednesday when I see the surgeon and probably get an X-ray. There's still certain movements that are a bit stiff and painful but hopefully it will still carry on improving yet.

I can now split my daily total down into separate rides

upload_2014-10-2_22-0-11.png

The 2.87 miles is the short way home from his house.

U

User32269

Hi. Probably bit late posting this but returned to cycling just over a year ago in my late 40's after 20+ years. Got a Diamondback Chinook mountain bike from guy on Gumtree who had just fallen of it and wanted to swap for half set of golf clubs I had. Pootled about on it then decided to register for 50 mile ride of the roses charity ride. Still smoking 20 a day and having ridden no more than 20 miler. Suprised myself by finishing in 4 hours and making into work next day! Did the 75 mile one this year on same heavy old bike...nearly killed me! Still trying to work out the moral of this tale?

Just ridden back from morris practice, 8 miles between 22:45 and 23:25 in long sleeved top and shorts, fabulous riding weather, temperature still above 10C. I really like riding at night especially because motorists seem to give you more room and I find hill climbing easier at night, I think its down to not being able to see the hills stretching out in front for ever :smile:

Last edited:

puffinbilly

Veteran
Just back from morris practice 8 miles between 22:45 and 23:25 in long sleeved top :smile:

That's one hell of a morris dance!

Good to see you back @Mo1959 - did the doc give you the all clear to resume cycling? Like the bit about perhaps never feeling confident at speed/downhills again -give it a few months or even rides and the confidence comes flooding back.Just when I'd probably caught you mileage wise - just up to 4070 for the year - away you go again over the hills.

My mileage last month fell shortt of my first 1000 mile target - the bike gave up the ghost on Saturday with the back wheel deciding to collapse with several loud gunshots of spokes breaking - so topped out at 850ish.

bloodlett

just got my bike a trek fx 7,4 disk today started attaching all my goodies lights, trunk bag, computer etc. tomorrow after work I will install the clip less pedals and set up my cleats Saturday hoping for my first ride the last time I was on a bike we called them 10 speeds :laugh: if I can do 1 mile on this break in ride I will be :wahhey:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Hi. Probably bit late posting this but returned to cycling just over a year ago in my late 40's after 20+ years. Got a Diamondback Chinook mountain bike from guy on Gumtree who had just fallen of it and wanted to swap for half set of golf clubs I had. Pootled about on it then decided to register for 50 mile ride of the roses charity ride. Still smoking 20 a day and having ridden no more than 20 miler. Suprised myself by finishing in 4 hours and making into work next day! Did the 75 mile one this year on same heavy old bike...nearly killed me! Still trying to work out the moral of this tale?
Well done you. The moral of the tale.........just keep turning the pedals no matter your age, fitness levels or type of bike :thumbsup: Some of my most enjoyable rides have been pootling around on my hybrid type bikes.

Well the chain didn't seem to catch on the nut, but then it was only very slight anyway and any amount of small force would see the chain past, still need to sort it and make sure it passes with out catching as it will put unnecessary wear on the chain somewhere it wasn't designed for it, it the mean time, I will have change from the middle to the outer before I get down as far as the 12th providing I remember

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
just got my bike a trek fx 7,4 disk today started attaching all my goodies lights, trunk bag, computer etc. tomorrow after work I will install the clip less pedals and set up my cleats Saturday hoping for my first ride the last time I was on a bike we called them 10 speeds :laugh: if I can do 1 mile on this break in ride I will be :wahhey:

Have fun - I can remember "10 Speed Racers" as well - there's a few 'mature' riders here. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom