Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D67446C5-F9AE-4634-A06C-9A23493AFEF8.png

Had a ride this morning with the new Di2 ultegra fitted to the TCR ,a pleasure to use so smooth

T675Rich

I don't seem to be making any now, my commute time is staying about level and it's not feeling any easier to maintain that time. I guess commuting only 2 days a week isn't enough.

nickAKA

Über Member
I don't seem to be making any now, my commute time is staying about level and it's not feeling any easier to maintain that time. I guess commuting only 2 days a week isn't enough.

'They' reckon you need to do 6-8 hours per week to make a substantial difference, a couple of hours per week is probably enough to maintain average joe level fitness (which is exactly where I am RN)

T675Rich

'They' reckon you need to do 6-8 hours per week to make a substantial difference, a couple of hours per week is probably enough to maintain average joe level fitness (which is exactly where I am RN)

I wasn't expecting substantial improvements but as I started at such a low level I hoped it would be a little longer before I plateaued, I'm currently way below average joe fitness. I'm still happy with the fact I can ride all the way home without walking now but one of the hill still fills me with dread.

nickAKA

Über Member
I wasn't expecting substantial improvements but as I started at such a low level I hoped it would be a little longer before I plateaued, I'm currently way below average joe fitness. I'm still happy with the fact I can ride all the way home without walking now but one of the hill still fills me with dread.

That afflicts us all, don't worry about it, keep pushing yourself. I was 46 when I decided to get fit and it took me 12 months of effort (the like of which I hadn't put in since football preseason about 20 years ago) but I got there. Potentially it'll be easier the younger you are BUT, y'know, no pain no gain!

Tobes

Regular
It's certainly age related.

I'm marginally younger :hello: and it took me circa 6 months to get back in shape. Did 6 days per week for first 3 months (gym, cycle and run).

Can now make it up the steepest hill in Richmond park on the big ring and had to walk it a few months back.

If anyone feels they've plateaued just do something different for a few weeks then go back to what you did before and you'll see the difference.

nickAKA

Über Member
If anyone feels they've plateaued just do something different for a few weeks then go back to what you did before and you'll see the difference.

Sage advice. Even following a very average few months on the bike (plus Christmas, eating everything) I'm doing PBs on segments I haven't done since last summer. The only person you need to measure yourself against is you...

Keep going and put in as many miles as you can. You will progress at some time

puffinbilly

Veteran
Good to see you @Nigelnaturist - hope you're keeping well.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

tom73

Guru
Well 1st ride of the year tonight :hyper: (funny how life gets in the way some times) Just a nice steady 11 miles that's quick enough not to worry about the light going but with a hill or two.
Just need a bit of indexing to the gears. But even that and the close passers did not matter. Though one did make the air turn a bit blue mind :evil:
To be free once more hearing the lambs in the field and birds singing. No amount of money spent on tin box on wheel can buy that.
Time in the pain cave look's to have paid off ave speed is up and feeling good all round .... and the results are in too 4 PR on strava :wahhey:

tom73

Guru
At last to try out the N+1 1st time back on a flat bar in years. Did have to remind myself that I don't bounce quite as well I did boy it was fun. Plus 1st bike with full hydro brakes. Did not take long to get to see how effective they are within minutes some total plank pulled out of a carpark almost over the bonnet job. Then pulls out sits behind me then passes me totally unaware of his actions. How you can miss a bright lime green bike in full view lord knows :wacko:

The brakes come in handy again on the way home 2 cars thought it was ok to pass close just as I moving out due to a parked car. Lucky missed the back of the car with an inch or 2 to spare. I think it must have been prat night down the lodge 8 close passers. Oh you've got to love the lady with the twin set and range rover who pulled over and waited for me to pass only to get bored and set off as I was 1/2 way though the narrow gap in the Rd. Think my reaction proved a bit of an education. :whistle: But all in all a great 11 mile test ride. London Rd is one fun bike for sure can't wait for some off road fun too. New tyres worked well too only a few MPH less then normal more then happy with that.

tom73

Guru
Well a last minute ride mid afternoon quick spin to test out my new bibs turned into 22 mile ride out in the sticks. Oh well the London was in need of getting to know it's new stomping ground. Seeing my best bike is still not playing right. She handled the extra hilly bits well. In fact was in danger of over taking a rider on his best carbon bike. But the spoil sport turned off just before I got to him. :laugh: Not been that way since last year the pot holes are still around but on the plus side the winter has not made them any worse.

Even with empty roads some just can't help it how much of the road do they want ? Well stuff them the sun is out, sky is clear and the view is worth it for sure. Turned out to be a great ride all round even bagged 5 PR so even better. :okay: Even got to ride under the TDY bunting on the main rd back home. Well just has to be done and anyway it's my only way home :whistle:

Attachments

• IMG_2857.JPG
    IMG_2857.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2858.JPG
    IMG_2858.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom