Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This mornings ride before resuming hospital taxi duties for the wife again
(invalid).png

Spoons47

0E47AC33-BFE6-4CB9-92D8-398C66B31C74.jpeg

Felt I let myself down a bit today. It’s the first week of interval training, involving 15 min easy pace then 3 lots of 5 mins at zone 4 with 10 min sections in between to recover at easy pace. I was really good on the first 5 mins but only managed 2 mins on the second one (bad planning hilly section) and didn’t have anything in the tank for the third 5 mins. I carried on at high cadence, but feel I should have pushed myself more! So I think a realistic goal may be to try and do two 2 of the 5 min sections on next ride after a days rest. Then hopefully on next weeks two rides build up to doing all 3. Good thing is the recovery is very good when I get back so there must be more in my old heart, lungs and legs.
Show me some love people
Cheers
Simon

tom73

Guru
You've done just fine you can't expect to get it bang on 1st time. Maybe a bit of a re route will help. Building up to goals is the best way. Focus on the day's achievement's never mind the rest. Good that you are building in rest time as it's important part of any activity.

13 rider

Guru
View attachment 427310
Felt I let myself down a bit today. It’s the first week of interval training, involving 15 min easy pace then 3 lots of 5 mins at zone 4 with 10 min sections in between to recover at easy pace. I was really good on the first 5 mins but only managed 2 mins on the second one (bad planning hilly section) and didn’t have anything in the tank for the third 5 mins. I carried on at high cadence, but feel I should have pushed myself more! So I think a realistic goal may be to try and do two 2 of the 5 min sections on next ride after a days rest. Then hopefully on next weeks two rides build up to doing all 3. Good thing is the recovery is very good when I get back so there must be more in my old heart, lungs and legs.
Show me some love people
Cheers
Simon
Don't beat yourself up interval training is hard some people enjoy hurting themselves other like me not so much I do very little structured training . But have seen the benefits of interval training on others it does work if your prepared to stick at it

View attachment 427310
Show me some love people
Cheers
Simon
You will definitely seeimprovements if you continue with a structured plan.

Sjw

Screenshot_2018-09-02-11-58-20_kindlephoto-109801444.png

What it doesn't show is me finished and falling off the stationary bike

Spoons47

Don't beat yourself up interval training is hard some people enjoy hurting themselves other like me not so much I do very little structured training . But have seen the benefits of interval training on others it does work if your prepared to stick at it

So it turns out I had misunderstood the intensity in the heart rate zones and was pushing way too hard. I have treated myself to a chest strap heart rate monitor to be as accurate as possible, did a 8 mile ride yesterday to do a few tests and can keep an accurate eye on heart rate on Apple Watch while riding. Thanks to swapping suspension forks for rigid carbon, inclines won’t be a problem on the training rides.
Onwards and Upwards.

So it turns out I had misunderstood the intensity in the heart rate zones and was pushing way too hard. I have treated myself to a chest strap heart rate monitor to be as accurate as possible, did a 8 mile ride yesterday to do a few tests and can keep an accurate eye on heart rate on Apple Watch while riding. Thanks to swapping suspension forks for rigid carbon, inclines won’t be a problem on the training rides.
Onwards and Upwards.
It is very hard to hit heart rate zones. It can take many minutes for the heart rate to catch up with your current effort - by which time you may be moving on to a diifferent effort

Top Bottom