Show us your.......newbie progress!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Afternoon Ride again after my hospital duties with mom this time
2018_08_23_18.44.13.png

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just took the Roubaix out for a 0.8mile shakedown before my first attempt at an imperial century on Sunday :blink:

I have two predictions; one I'll make it round but I won't be quick and two I won't be doing much in the afternoon :laugh:

The route isn't too hilly, around 4000ft of climbing over the 101 miles. I'll probably cycle to and from the start line too so I'll be doing about 109 miles in total if all goes to plan.

It still sounds absurd to be even attempting to cycle that far, my brain hasn't adapted to the longer distances I'm riding yet :laugh:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Just took the Roubaix out for a 0.8mile shakedown before my first attempt at an imperial century on Sunday :blink:

I have two predictions; one I'll make it round but I won't be quick and two I won't be doing much in the afternoon :laugh:

The route isn't too hilly, around 4000ft of climbing over the 101 miles. I'll probably cycle to and from the start line too so I'll be doing about 109 miles in total if all goes to plan.

It still sounds absurd to be even attempting to cycle that far, my brain hasn't adapted to the longer distances I'm riding yet :laugh:

You`ll be fine, just take your time and draft everyone you can :thumbsup:

Enjoy the day :bicycle:

tom73

Guru

Good luck take your time and enjoy it. Makes my 40 mile Sunday ride I’ve got planned look very poor effect :okay:

JhnBssll

Veteran
My first attempted imperial century didn't quite go to plan :laugh: The wind picked up fairly early in to the ride and at mile 52 the rain started. We battled on but my second puncture proved to be game over so I called the wife to collect me and waved my friends off :sad: One of them offered me his spare tube but I would have felt terrible had he then punctured plus by this point my fingers were so cold I'm not convinced I would have been able to fit it anyway :laugh:

On the plus side I managed to complete 94.1 miles at an average speed of 16.3mph so hopefully next time I'll complete it :laugh:

I'm a bit gutted to be honest but dead impressed with myself for getting as far as I did :okay:

20180826_162201.jpg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
My first attempted imperial century didn't quite go to plan :laugh: The wind picked up fairly early in to the ride and at mile 52 the rain started. We battled on but my second puncture proved to be game over so I called the wife to collect me and waved my friends off :sad: One of them offered me his spare tube but I would have felt terrible had he then punctured plus by this point my fingers were so cold I'm not convinced I would have been able to fit it anyway :laugh:

On the plus side I managed to complete 94.1 miles at an average speed of 16.3mph so hopefully next time I'll complete it :laugh:

I'm a bit gutted to be honest but dead impressed with myself for getting as far as I did :okay:

View attachment 426933
Well done on the distance on the right day you will smash it .. Nothing worst than a puncture on a wet cold day I once puncture 1 mile from the finish on an 80 Mile charity ride . Hands were so wet and cold I couldn't get the tyre back on the mobile mechanic saved me

Last edited:

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thanks ^_^ I've just ordered a pair of GP 4 seasons to replace the GP4000s, hopefully next time I won't puncture and can finish :laugh:

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
@JhnBssll Bad luck stuff happen's though it don't make it feel any better. At least you know you can do it. Mine will have a wait given the time of year. Bet you've got it in the bag next time round:okay: Given current new's you never know the next time the both of you maybe giving it a go ;)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
We battled on but my second puncture proved to be game over so I called the wife to collect me and waved my friends off :sad: One of them offered me his spare tube but I would have felt terrible had he then punctured plus by this point my fingers were so cold I'm not convinced I would have been able to fit it anyway :laugh:

You had 2 punctures in just one ride of 94 miles?? I couldn't be doing with all that hassle. I'd be running Schwalbe Marathons if I was riding those sort of distances. Puncture repairs are right at the bottom of the list of things I want to spend time doing.

You had 2 punctures in just one ride of 94 miles?? I couldn't be doing with all that hassle. I'd be running Schwalbe Marathons if I was riding those sort of distances. Puncture repairs are right at the bottom of the list of things I want to spend time doing.
I remember the old days. I used to fix all my punctures. 3 punctures in one ride of approx 40 miles

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You must have been running flimsy tyres then to get that many. I used to get the odd one, mostly from bits of broken glass when I rode to work on a 3-speed roadster years ago, but still not that often really - and they were totally unprotected tyres.
I now have level 5 protected Schwalbes on all my "good" bikes and run Dr Sludge internal tyre liners inside the unprotected knobbly tyres on my gravel/woods riding MTB. I've managed to keep the Fairy away all year so far. I checked the MTB tyres before going out yesterday - and found about a dozen small sharp stone fragments lodged in them, mostly in the ancient front tyre which is half worn and well past it's best.

Top Bottom