Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
Haro Vector V2C. From the mid 90's complete with mid 90's paint colour :becool:

Rare in the UK, a mid range MTB, cromo 4130, made by the BMX company Haro.

haro.jpg

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
1935 Sun Wasp and 1971 Carlton Continental...
PA026145_zpseomahxqq.jpg

Kippaxaus

My 1980's Orbit Thompson. Reynolds 531c, Mavic Rimtec wheels, Stronglight chainset, Shimano 600 down tube friction levers, Shimano 105 front and rear mech, CLB brakes. Built by Orbit Cycles in Sheffield (Andy Thompson I presume). I swap/exchanged the bike with a colleague at work around 23 years ago and have loved it ever since. View attachment 122227 View attachment 122228

I picked up a frame recently, same model, different colour. I'm looking forward to the build. Nice bike by the way.

Kippaxaus

Thank you, It is a lovely bike, you picked up an Oris own collectionbit frame in Australia?
Yes, I was after a 531 frame and a was telling a local guy who runs his own bike shop from his garage. He said come around the back and that he didn't let people look at his own collection. He had bought it to rebuild himself, when I explained what i was looking for he offered the frame to me, I couldn't resist. I have to say I didn't know a great deal about Orbit bikes or the frame builder Thompson.

Colin_P

Guru
Latest budget build. 1997 Raleigh Pioneer Trail. My 'sensible' commuting bike for the winter.

View attachment 434257

I've exactly the same bike, had it from new, only in a larger frame. Lovely thing.

I binned the canti brakes (well stored them) and fitted V's and it stops much better. I also binned the twist grip shifters for thumb shifters, as the rear twister broke. Oh, and another set of wheels as I wore the original set out.

It's a bit like triggers broom but is mostly there.

Scottnmac

Anyone out there keen on steel .......

Here is a Ron Cooper hand built frame (sadky with incorrect decals...)

To kick off with .......send in your photos and thoughts on steel is real
Here is my new to me NJ craigslist find sweet old school steel Lemond 853 steel

Attachments

• 58CE852F-0CF0-428E-BA30-9EE874938724.jpeg
    58CE852F-0CF0-428E-BA30-9EE874938724.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 44

simon.r

Person
I’ve just bought this 1990 (?) Raleigh Pioneer 6 for the princely sum of £16.99. Not sure whether to sell it on or to keep it for those occasions when I have to leave a bike locked up in public for a few hours.

It looks to have had very little use and a quick ride up and down the road suggests everything’s working. Just needs a clean and a minor fettle.

View attachment 417300

3 months on and this is in frequent use as my ‘up to 10 miles or so shopping trips’ bike. It’s a surprisingly comfy, rattle free ride.

Total cost after new brake blocks, cables and the addition of panniers and bell was less than £50:okay:

DB4152E4-07E8-4106-A85E-AFADD323EF11.jpeg

[

Top Bottom