Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tharg2007

Veteran

bagpuss

Guru
Tharg2007 said:
Nice collection there bagpuss, would you be interested in buying my carlton criterium frame?

I have no room at present for anymore bikes:blush:I did have this model a while ago.It is now with a new owner.

Swift Dan

My latest - 1984 Raleigh Record Sprint

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34861287@N03/3236750886/

3236750886_d6ae081a80_o.jpg

Won it on Ebay a couple of weeks ago - £30. All original except for a 5 speed frewheel (should be 6), missing front mech & lever and missing saddle & seat post.

I was going to do it up as a winter commuter but once the dust and grease was cleaned away it was in very good condition so I thought I might be able to sell it for a modest profit once it was complete

So far I've replaced the front axle/cones/bearings due to pittiness, cleaned and regreased all other bearings, new seat post from ebay (£4 delivered) with saddle I had knocking around. I've fitted an 80s Chorus front mech and I had a spare original lever from another Record frame that is built up as a single speed (frame and forks in great condition - £3 from a car boot sale).

GP4000 tyres were part worn spares that I had and I've aquired an original NOS Sachs Huret front mech that is still in its bag as it isn't as pretty as the Chorus.

I was intending to replace the 5 speed freewhel with a 6 but couldn't work out which tool would unscrew it. It didn't look like a standard shimano spline or lugged tool would fit and there was what looked like a lock ring screwed down onto it. All became clear when I was cleaning the wheel with the lock ring thingy removed. Filipped it over to do the other side and the freewheel just fell off (landed on my foot so was undamaged). Further investigation reveald that its a Maillard helicomatic so I'll probably stick with the 5 speed and keep an eye out for a bargain 6.

Now it's complete I've grown quite attached to it and don't want to sell it. I don't want to ride it in the rain or ride it too much and wear it out so I'll probably just keep it as a special occasion bike.

SD

asterix

Comrade Member
My new bike after it arrived and then unridden:
DSCF0853.jpg
[/IMG]

Saddle nose just a bit low, a few psi needed in the tyres but otherwise ready to roll..

zzpza

I'm seeing a lot of bikes here with ahead stems. Are they threadless or are people using quill <-> ahead adapters?

Tharg2007

Veteran
new builds in steel often come with 1" threadless steerers on the forks.
I think it might be an option, either threaded or ahead, it was an option with mine anyway.

zzpza

chriswoody said:
Heres my 1993 Dawes Super Galxy recently refurbished by Mercian and built up by me!

very nice. out of interest, how come you didn't take the gear cables back to the stem under the bar tape?

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Partly because it would be a little crowded under the tape with the brake cables and partly because it would have created some really crazy angles in the outer cables and I couldn't get my head around how I was going to get them to the cable stops on the correct side of the frame.

This is the first time I've run the cables this high up the tape, I've always had it exiting lower down where the bars bend, Just like Dawes did when it was new. This way is a hell of a lot comfier and the cables don't get in the way no matter where my hands are.

Top Bottom