Show us your Titanium....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
@Juan Kog black tape is so much better.....lol

Ti.jpg

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
🤔 Must remember not to post any photos anywhere on the forum of my Surly Steamroller.
gloss black frame with 😱 Red bar tape Red brake cables Red bottle cages and Red Hope headset .:eek:
(edit) forgot the Red chain ring and Red mudflap

Last edited:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Each to their own.......:angel:

Black mudguards would be nice on that to.....:okay:
When the silver ones need replacing. I do have some red Bluemel mudguards but there wide and don’t look right with 25 mm tyres .

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I’m loving my Ventus still I can’t cycle enough.

Again thanks to everyone who helped me make my decision, and thanks to @Paul_Smith SRCC and his team.

View attachment 661732

Stunner.

Its been a while since I posted a picture of my Ventus, so why not.
Here you go. 10 years old now and I still love every inch of the bike. Its served me well and we've enjoyed 10's of thousands of miles together and hope to enjoy many more miles in the future.
1669370473220.png

Venod

Eh up
@Venod very nice ,but you appear to have a “RED” front hub or is it just a trick of the light .
like your garden BTW .

Yes they are red hubs, I thought you would like them , although it has black hubs at the moment, I have three pairs of wheels I share between two bikes, the red hubs came about as I got the rims cheap from PX, and scouring eBay for hubs these came up Novatec NOS, a bargain price so I couldn't refuse, the tyres are Schwalbe G One all round 38mm but the measure 40mm on them rims. On the bike at the moment are some wheels that came with my Synapse, WTB rims with Formula hubs, running 32mm Gravel Kings semi slick, these were through axle only, I modified the rear to fit QR, the front only needed an insert. The third set are a pair of Kinesis CX another eBay bargain, they are the wider tougher model but have the stickers of the narrower cheaper model on them, I guess that's why they were selling them cheap, they have some 36mm Gravel King, SK on them. The two rims with the larger tyres are shared with my OnOne Pickenflick, the 32mm would also be OK on there but I use the Pickenflick off road a lot.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Stunner.

Its been a while since I posted a picture of my Ventus, so why not.
Here you go. 10 years old now and I still love every inch of the bike. Its served me well and we've enjoyed 10's of thousands of miles together and hope to enjoy many more miles in the future.
View attachment 669080
I see you have also risked the Van Nicholas Ti stem on carbon steerer forks even though technically Van Nicholas don't recommend it; the reason being the Van Nicholas stem is quite cutaway at the back. I have seen carbon fork steerers crushed by this stem due to over tightening, as the steerer starts to fail it will invariably also translate to a creaking noise and often people will assume that noise is due to the fact the bolts are not tight enough; then tighten them even more which only makes the issue even worse!

In conclusion I would never actually recommend that combination........ says me having had my Van Nicholas Chinook since 2007 and with one their Ti Stems fitted! I actually fitted mine before they realised that there was a potential issue, I had and still have tightened all bolts on my ti stem to 5nm (Bontrager have a handy Preset Torque Wrench) and so far it's been fine.

Attachments

• Chinook Stem.jpg
    Chinook Stem.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Chinook Stem and forks.jpg
    Chinook Stem and forks.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 39746392_2139694549438691_6883323555908419584_n.jpg
    39746392_2139694549438691_6883323555908419584_n.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Ti Stem.jpg
    Ti Stem.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Bontrager Preset 5 Nm Torque Wrench.jpg
    Bontrager Preset 5 Nm Torque Wrench.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks for the heads up @Paul_Smith SRCC , I'll take your comments under great consideration as you're the man on this forum who knows. I've had no creaks so far in the 10 years since it/they were fitted. But I haven't had any reason over the years to remove the stem that often and I'm usually very carefully doing up bolts, certainly not the ham fisted type.

It would be a shame to change the stem as its a beautiful bit of metal.

Top Bottom