Show us your touring setup!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
In the USA its looking like racks and small panniers a little higher off the ground are making a comeback, bikepacking bags are fine if you know its not going to rain every other day because keeping wet and dry gear separate is an issue .
Errr, no it's not. Sleep system in my handlebar bag. Tent and clothes in my saddlebag. Clothes in separate dry bag in the saddlebag

Sallar55

Veteran
So you only camp when it's dry if your clothes and tent are in the saddlebag? 🤔 How long do you go away bikepacking for and dry bags come in all grades from paper thin crap ones to high quality heavy duty durable ones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
Errr, no it's not. Sleep system in my handlebar bag. Tent and clothes in my saddlebag. Clothes in separate dry bag in the saddlebag

Sleep system in handlebar bag can you elaborate?

I'm thinking I could roll up my thermarest and put it on my handle bars to free up capacity in my panniers??

rivers

How far can I go?
Sleep system in handlebar bag can you elaborate?

I'm thinking I could roll up my thermarest and put it on my handle bars to free up capacity in my panniers??

Thermarest, 3 season sleeping bag rolled up into my handlebar bag, which is the small 14 litre restrap bag/harness. I only have 40cm bars, so really only have about 8 litres of useable space.

rivers

How far can I go?
Hi rivers i believe that your on Bearbones as well. Has the bike shed some gear?

Seeing as the whole thing (including bike and water/food/coffee) weighed less than 20kgs, there wasn't much to shed. As I said in the post, my bike is an extra small, 46cm bike- it looks like more than it is because each bag has so little in it.

Sallar55

Veteran
Rivers what all the other bags for?

Screenshot_20230512-190435.png

rivers

How far can I go?
Rivers what all the other bags for?

View attachment 689241

Handlebar bag- sleeping bag, mat, and little inflatable pillow. Food pouch attached to the handlebar harness: nuts, Cereal bars, other easily snackable food, phone, power bank
Frame bag- hydration bladder and 2 x tubes. The hydration bladder pretty much fills the frame bag
Tailfin- tent, small towel, food, coffee, mug (with spork, knife and lighter tucked inside. Friend had a stove)
One 5 litre pannier- bamboo base layer top and bottom, packable synthetic jacket, and beanie for camp/sleeping
Other 5 litre pannier- spare shorts, jersey, socks, arm/leg warmers, charging cables.
I could have put the contents of the panniers in the tailfin, but I wanted full use of my dropper post as we had some pretty technical descents.
on previous trips, I have used a 15 litre saddlebag for what I put in my tailfin and mini-panniers. But, on anything but the smoothest terrain, the 15 litre saddle bag rubs on my rear wheel.

Sallar55

Veteran
Thats a big difference from the above post😂 you would think that it was a race. Check out this then look at the results.https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2023-atlas-mountain-race-rigs/

rivers

How far can I go?
Thats a big difference from the above post😂 you would think that it was a race. Check out this then look at the results.https://bikepacking.com/bikes/2023-atlas-mountain-race-rigs/

Actually, the packing list for both those set-ups was the exact same. Just packed in different bags.

rivers

How far can I go?
@Sallar55 this year's set-up vs last year's set-up. Packing list is virtually the same (including my first night dinner of taco beans, wraps, and cheese). Except this year i didn't need to take a stove or toiletries as my friends carried those (I had tools and first aid kit). The difference is the bags, and that's it (maybe a bit of weight because of the tailfin, but not much).
On last year's set-up, I had everything in compression dry bags (clothes in one, tent another, towel rolled up and shoved in, food, stove, gas, mug, utensils shoved in where they fit) as that was the only way to pack it tight enough to get the clearance for the rear wheel.
As a short cyclist, who enjoys bikepacking, I've done a lot of experimenting with what works best for me, and the riding I like to do. So far, the tailfin and mini-panniers for up to two weeks (which is really the max I will be going away for as work and family commitments) works really well. It's solid, packing is quick and easy because I don't need to take ages making sure I've rolled up and compressed everything exactly right, and I have full use of my dropper.
You may do a lot of standard, long distance bike touring. Good for you. But stop it with your disdain for bikepackers- it may not be how you would do things, but it doesn't have the disadvantages you make up in your mind.
20230505_053332.jpg

20220812_054855.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
@Sallar55 this year's set-up vs last year's set-up. Packing list is virtually the same (including my first night dinner of taco beans, wraps, and cheese). Except this year i didn't need to take a stove or toiletries as my friends carried those (I had tools and first aid kit). The difference is the bags, and that's it (maybe a bit of weight because of the tailfin, but not much).
On last year's set-up, I had everything in compression dry bags (clothes in one, tent another, towel rolled up and shoved in, food, stove, gas, mug, utensils shoved in where they fit) as that was the only way to pack it tight enough to get the clearance for the rear wheel.
As a short cyclist, who enjoys bikepacking, I've done a lot of experimenting with what works best for me, and the riding I like to do. So far, the tailfin and mini-panniers for up to two weeks (which is really the max I will be going away for as work and family commitments) works really well. It's solid, packing is quick and easy because I don't need to take ages making sure I've rolled up and compressed everything exactly right, and I have full use of my dropper.
You may do a lot of standard, long distance bike touring. Good for you. But stop it with your disdain for bikepackers- it may not be how you would do things, but it doesn't have the disadvantages you make up in your mind.
View attachment 689298

View attachment 689299

Looks good to me!

Sallar55

Veteran
Here is my bikepacking setup version 2, not a fan of the wagging tail seatpack or framebags. OMM Elkhorn racks and Ortlieb bikepacking front and old Ortlieb rear panniers (the bike packing version has 2clips for the pannier to stop the bag springing out at the bottom) . Its food, cooking gear and extra clothes along with all the little bits of maintenance gear thats a deal breaker with normal bikepacking setup . Now try going on the HT 550 or similar and find out .

PXL_20230422_125834962.jpg

Now here is a bikepacking setup for the long haul

PXL_20230308_103908320.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom