Show us your touring setup!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
Here is my bikepacking setup version 2, not a fan of the wagging tail seatpack or framebags. OMM Elkhorn racks and Ortlieb bikepacking front and old Ortlieb rear panniers (the bike packing version has 2clips for the pannier to stop the bag springing out at the bottom) . Its food, cooking gear and extra clothes along with all the little bits of maintenance gear thats a deal breaker with normal bikepacking setup . Now try going on the HT 550 or similar and find out .

View attachment 689328
Now here is a bikepacking setup for the long haul

View attachment 689330

Is his stearing not a little heavy?!🤔🤔

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
I've always bike packed till last weekend but the two panniers and tent were fine, not at all slower on the flat tbh obvs slower uphills.

Ok I didn't get out the saddle but the stability of the bike was better imho than bike packing where I've tried to ride like a unladen road bike!

Is his stearing not a little heavy?!
I've gone from all the load on the back to some load on the front to a lot more load on the front.

Crossing the Pennines on some pretty rough stuff
IMG_20180922_163136077.jpg

Moving some weight to the front. Don't know if it was purely psychological or not but I had some pretty steep climbing and it seemed to help.
IMG_20191102_154841.jpg

Covid encouraged me to be more flexible so I dropped the trailer. On an average day there's close to 15kgs on the front. Steering is heavier but manageable. It's only an issue on really gravelly, rocky descents.
IMG_20220123_115330.jpg

I hate this bikepacking/Touring divisive bull.
IMG_20220116_155340.jpg

The thing is, from my own experience, there is no one right answer to any of this. We travel how we like to travel. Every choice has a price. We are either willing to pay the price or not. The trick, the real trick, is finding out what the price is before we're forced to pay for it.
And it doesn't matter a damn what anyone else does.

I've always bike packed till last weekend but the two panniers and tent were fine, not at all slower on the flat tbh obvs slower uphills.
How did you get on? There was a new tent, I think? Cookset too? Maybe a sleeping bag?

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
I've gone from all the load on the back to some load on the front to a lot more load on the front.

Crossing the Pennines on some pretty rough stuff
View attachment 689340

Moving some weight to the front. Don't know if it was purely psychological or not but I had some pretty steep climbing and it seemed to help.
View attachment 689343

Covid encouraged me to be more flexible so I dropped the trailer. On an average day there's close to 15kgs on the front. Steering is heavier but manageable. It's only an issue on really gravelly, rocky descents.
View attachment 689342

I hate this bikepacking/Touring divisive bull.
View attachment 689341

The thing is, from my own experience, there is no one right answer to any of this. We travel how we like to travel. Every choice has a price. We are either willing to pay the price or not. The trick, the real trick, is finding out what the price is before we're forced to pay for it.
And it doesn't matter a damn what anyone else does.

How did you get on? There was a new tent, I think? Cookset too? Maybe a sleeping bag?

Yeap it all worked great despite having to share it with a mate, not the sleeping bag thankfully.

Tent is small so glad I got the 200 model. Thamarest Matt excellent, sleeping bag too warm! All good!

IMG-20230508-WA0028.jpg

Sallar55

Veteran
Here is the other end of the touring game. Bought this when covid disrupted the supply chain ,was the only choice because Shimano gear was almost impossible to source. After 3months of setbacks i changed the order to a campag groupset.Orro terra C gravel bike, tyres only have clearance for 40/42 depending on make. The carbon rack fixings are only rated for 5kg ,no fork mounts or frame bag mounts. Its really a Kansas gravel race bike setup 🫢no use for my style of bikepacking due to tyre clearance.😩and the above issues. A nice bike for an overnighter with the credit card. Used a seatpost clamp that has the rack mounts and a extra long QR fitted thro the hollow Bolt thro axle to save using the frame bosses.

DSC_0402.JPG

Last edited:

Mburton1993

Über Member
Here's mine, it's mostly tent.

IMG_20230514_142142 (2).jpg

rivers

How far can I go?
Here is the other end of the touring game. Bought this when covid disrupted the supply chain ,was the only choice because Shimano gear was almost impossible to source. After 3months of setbacks i changed the order to a campag groupset.Orro terra C gravel bike, tyres only have clearance for 40/42 depending on make. The carbon rack fixings are only rated for 5kg ,no fork mounts or frame bag mounts. Its really a Kansas gravel race bike setup 🫢no use for my style of bikepacking due to tyre clearance.😩and the above issues. A nice bike for an overnighter with the credit card. Used a seatpost clamp that has the rack mounts and a extra long QR fitted thro the hollow Bolt thro axle to save using the frame bosses.

View attachment 689394

It's also a cracking bike for several days across Dartmoor and Exmoor, Dorset, Wiltshire, Cornwall, Bristol, the Mendips, Cotswolds, and pretty much most places in the South West of England- while camping funnily enough. 40mm tyres seem to be okay for most of what I've ridden through, with the exception of thick mud, and a section of path that even a full on downhill MTB would have struggled through.

Sallar55

Veteran
Its a nice bike but its more gravel than bikepacking. Needs a fork with bosses. Carbon bars dont like bags strapped on, a small barbag is enough.

rivers

How far can I go?
Its a nice bike but its more gravel than bikepacking. Needs a fork with bosses. Carbon bars dont like bags strapped on, a small barbag is enough.

Errr none of the Terra C builds come stock with carbon bars- carbon frame and fork yes, bars and seatpost, no.
You can always get a fork with bosses. The new aluminium, steel, and titanium terras all have forks with bosses. I, personally, don't need fork bosses.

You can go on about how the Terra C isn't a bikepacking bike. Except it is, because really, whenever someone asks " What is a good bikepacking bike?", the first answer is: "The one you own".
I've used my Terra C for several multi-day off-road, sometimes remote trips. I've carried camping gear, cooking gear, food, spare clothes, etc- all of which you've said is impossible while bikepacking and/or riding this particular bike. In fact, last week, two of us were on Terra Cs, successfully bikepacking/camping. Our biggest issue with the Terra C we would have with any bike: our height. We're both 5'2" and ride 46cm bikes, so packing takes a bit more planning and focus (though I think I'm there with my set-up now).
Later this summer, I look forward to bikepacking with my son, who will be around 19 months old at the time, on my Terra C, while pulling him and his trailer along. We'll be camping, though any off-road won't be any more technical than a canal towpath. But that's not a reflection on the bike and it's capabilities, more that I don't think my son would enjoy flying down a steep, technical descent being thrown all over the place.

Errr none of the Terra C builds come stock with carbon bars- carbon frame and fork yes, bars and seatpost, no.
You can always get a fork with bosses. The new aluminium, steel, and titanium terras all have forks with bosses. I, personally, don't need fork bosses.

You can go on about how the Terra C isn't a bikepacking bike. Except it is, because really, whenever someone asks " What is a good bikepacking bike?", the first answer is: "The one you own".
I've used my Terra C for several multi-day off-road, sometimes remote trips. I've carried camping gear, cooking gear, food, spare clothes, etc- all of which you've said is impossible while bikepacking and/or riding this particular bike. In fact, last week, two of us were on Terra Cs, successfully bikepacking/camping. Our biggest issue with the Terra C we would have with any bike: our height. We're both 5'2" and ride 46cm bikes, so packing takes a bit more planning and focus (though I think I'm there with my set-up now).
Later this summer, I look forward to bikepacking with my son, who will be around 19 months old at the time, on my Terra C, while pulling him and his trailer along. We'll be camping, though any off-road won't be any more technical than a canal towpath. But that's not a reflection on the bike and it's capabilities, more that I don't think my son would enjoy flying down a steep, technical descent being thrown all over the place.
My suggestion is to disengage.
I have rarely read such complete and utter bull as you have responded to.
Such put down type posts are common on other fora but thankfully here are so rare they stand out.

Not for the first time I am so glad I never even thought to look online before I headed off on an adventure on my bike.

"What is a good bikepacking bike?", the first answer is: "The one you own".
Exactly.

As a huge fan of parent-child adventures I wish you both lots of fun.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

Well, he might choose to do that in a few years……;)

Top Bottom