Show us your touring setup!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
Sunshine this is a forum we all have different views on what correct. i can give my bike a poor review for bikepacking as its designed to be a bike for gravel. Which is really a cross between xc and the roughstuff bikes.

Not sure where to stick this but I thought it was interesting......

It seems that the bikepacking world is evolving and some interesting (front) racks are appearing.
No mention of weight nor cost, though, which I think are relevant to any discussion.
There's one seriously overly thought-out handlebar bag that amused me greatly! ^_^

(I really hope this doesn't descend into a urination contest)

View: https://youtu.be/g0Bb7fX-WNM

chriswoody

Legendary Member

It seems that the bikepacking world is evolving and some interesting (front) racks are appearing.
No mention of weight nor cost, though, which I think are relevant to any discussion.
There's one seriously overly thought-out handlebar bag that amused me greatly! ^_^

Interesting video that touches on some of the problems that come with opting to use a soft bag touring set up. You always see all these shots of folk galavanting around with lovely set up bikes, but rarely do you see mention of the drawbacks and I know I'm just as guilty to an extent.

I didn't come across the problem of bags rubbing on head tubes myself, until after I'd worn a nice hole in my shiny new drybag. I've actually gone for the low fi solution of some plumbers insulation taped around the tube and then I've made the bag itself more secure on the handlebars by also using some Voile straps along with the harness.

IMG_20230530_164543513.jpg

Of course this now introduces the next problem of the cable routing. Using the methods outlined in the video you can actually sneak the cables behind the brackets that are reviewed there. My low fi method though, whilst cheap, does leave no room for the cables. So the last time I replaced the outer gear cable, I cut it longer so it can now loop over the drybag.

There are some interesting ideas coming through though, to solve problems that are thrown up by opting to tour bikepacking style, many of which, folk may not be aware of until they dip their toes into it.

You always see all these shots of folk galavanting around with lovely set up bikes, but rarely do you see mention of the drawbacks
That's my gripe with a lot of videos - a lot of the time there is a monetary aspect as a motivation - or a hope of one and that can influence objectivity. Anyone hoping for a freebie from company X is perhaps less likely to slag them off.

The other thing is that a lot of this gear is new and, relatively speaking, untested.
I bought a set of Ortlieb backrollers - a design (and material) tested over decades and put them on a Tubus rack. It's no surprise that both are still going strong after a few adventures, the only significant Ortlieb issue coming from a dogbite^_^
On the other hand, my second set of Ortliebs utilises a "newer" material and I don't rate them at all.

I do wonder about the cost, and by cost I suppose I mean longevity beyond the initial price.
I'm boringly on record here popping into the odd "what bike" thread urging the consideration of component cost in evaluating bikes.
Ditto with a lot of the Bikepacking gear. For a start, shorter folk are at a disadvantage in terms of choice, a lot of it seems very specific to design so changing bike could be problematic. And then there's the wear and tear. A drybag worn through by contact is no longer a drybag.
To go back to my Ortliebs, they have been on three different bikes on two different racks, can go front or back and even on a trailer.
Flexibility and longevity are not topics I normally see discussed.

That's not to say that one way is superior to another, just that people should be aware of what they are gaining and losing with each choice they make.

I've actually gone for the low fi solution of some plumbers insulation taped around the tube
:eek:
A lovely bike and you do that to it!
The BikePacking Gods will be punishing you! ^_^^_^

There are some interesting ideas coming through though, to solve problems that are thrown up by opting to tour bikepacking style, many of which, folk may not be aware of until they dip their toes into it.
The last few words are so important.
The most important thing is to get out and try it. see what works, what doesn't, find where our tolerances are.
You've a hole in your drybag - but look at where you've been, done and with whom!

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
Another issue I have with bike packing setups is capacity. Id struggle to carry enough for a long weekend ina bike packing setups without spending serious money on getting really lightweight gear.
Also that of stability. Panniers place weight lower down where the bikes handing isn't as affected. The big seatbag and handle bar affect the rear and the steering of the bike.

Another issue I have with bike packing setups is capacity. Id struggle to carry enough for a long weekend ina bike packing setups without spending serious money on getting really lightweight gear.
Some of us have problems with 4 panniers and a rackbag ^_^
A lot of it is down to personal taste and tolerance.
But yes, a good, light tent, pad and sleeping bag is going to be expensive.

Also that of stability. Panniers place weight lower down where the bikes handing isn't as affected. The big seatbag and handle bar affect the rear and the steering of the bike.
I think that's something we can adapt to and get used to.
I'm at my most dangerous when I take off my load - my steering is all over the place ^_^

Julia9054

Guru
I have the Restrap bumper bar to go with my handlebar bag. Currently bumming around the Netherlands and I'm pretty pleased with how it's all working.
The big seatbag and handle bar affect the rear and the steering of the bike.
I'm finding my steering much less affected than last year's rack and panniers set up.
We had a very windy ride up the west coast and I was very glad of my new, more streamlined set up. Al is using a rack and panniers - they were catching the wind and making his bike like the spaceshuttle coming into land

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Bike packing 1898 style. There’s something about keeping it simple and fast and light. But others as above will want to travel with the kitchen sink, and a cement mixer, to build a home wherever they stop. Both work, depending on your mindset. There is no one correct way on what and how much to take with you, and how.

42eb010e26ff289b15c2cdca8562ca5c.jpg

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?

I use a handlebar extender flipped upside down to achieve the same thing. And it only cost £6 from amazon.
As a vertically challenged cyclist who enjoys the odd bikepacking weekend, I'm glad to see kit evolving. I just wish they didn't have such a hefty price tag

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Helicopter tape can protect the bike tubing. As to bags wearing through, that’s the cost of lightweight, if the bag can move when you hit some rough stuff. The old canvas bags and rolls strapped on in late 19th and early 20th centuries would stand up to the abuse, at the cost of weight.

Bike packing 1898 style.
I'm bemused by the fact that they're wearing ties! ^_^
But others as above will want to travel with the kitchen sink, and a cement mixer
Hyperbole much? :rolleyes:

to build a home wherever they stop
Doesn't everyone? That may be in a 5* hotel or in a bus stop.
As usual, with us humans, we like different things and we'll accept different things. Even on different days.
As a vertically challenged cyclist who enjoys the odd bikepacking weekend
I do wonder if this is a factor.
There's an understandable urge, especially for the time poor, to get as much done as possible in the limited time available, influencing the notion of "travel lighter, travel further".
Then there's the relative expense. A sturdy rack and Panniers might last longer....... but that's not necessarily a benefit to someone who gets away for the odd weekend.

It's all swings and roundabouts.
Only once has my load made me skip something I wanted to do ...... and as things turned out it was probably a very smart move - not something I can often lay claim to! ^_^

Top Bottom