Sideswiped and Assaulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Like Mr O above said, report it but don't expect any 'Waking the Dead' type multi-disciplinary investigative team to be formed.
Even if you don't get any direct satisfaction from the police, it all adds up the stats that, in the long run, may get plod to take things a bit more seriously.

And, as part of Magnatom's affiliate programme, may I recommend you get a helmet-cam.;)

U

User482

My manager was involved in a not disimilar incident a while back - the driver ended up with a formal caution. S'pose it's not much more than a slap on the wrist, but it will be on his record if he tries something else in the future.

hackbike 6

domtyler said:
I would say that one of the main advantages of being in primary is that it gives you space to escape, room to make evasive manoeuvres in the event of dangerous driving from other people.

In this case, Chris had moved from primary into secondary giving the driver the green light to overtake even though it was not safe to. As he was also now in a weaker position he did not have room to take that evasive action.

If Chris had resisted the pressure to move out the way his position may have prevented the dangerous manoeuvre in the first place or, even if it had taken place, he could easily have braked and moved left out of the way in order to avoid any contact.

You don't really know that.As magnatoms videos show and when magnatom goes into one of his rants it's usually because someone has overtaken him when riding in primary.If you take virtually everyone as idiots out there then it doesn't really matter what position you ride you just cannot stop a dangerous overtake if a motorist wants to attempt one.Lets face it they let virtually any ;) drive out there.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Hackers, you're right in that you can't stop someone who really wants to get past, and is willing to hit you whilst doing it. On the other hand, you're wrong in that primary can and does stop overtakes from the 99.9% of normal road users who are dissuaded from attempting a stupid and dangerous overtake.

For the 1% of idiots, primary gives you the space and time to take avoiding action to account for the mistakes of the driver.

Trillian

magnatom normally rants if he's forced to move off his line in primary or secondary

personally, i use primary as a way of persuading people to wait a moment (traffic islands etc) or to use the other lane to overtake on dual carageways
my other use of it is if i'm close behind another car then i don't want someone coming alongside and then finding they've nowhere to go

it does, as does secondary, give me some space to retreat into if things feel a little tight.

Mr Pig

I've had an idea.

Why not print off the traffic laws and regs as they relate to cyclists and carry a few copies with you? next time some dimwit says 'you should be further over' etc you can 'politely' hand them a copy.

Education, not confrontation ;0)

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Why let the truth confuse a small brain?

I agree, but have a feeling these kind of people aren't bothered about what any law says, it's about what they think is right -and for them only and sod the rest of the general population.

Mr Pig said:
I've had an idea.

Why not print off the traffic laws and regs as they relate to cyclists and carry a few copies with you? next time some dimwit says 'you should be further over' etc you can 'politely' hand them a copy.

Education, not confrontation ;0)

domtyler

Über Member
Unfortunately Nigeyy is right Mister Pig. Trying to educate people while you are out cycling is not the way forward.

The best strategy is to learn the correct techniques to control the vehicles around you. Learn how to avoid any collisions where you cannot control those vehicles and to predict and anticipate when dangerous incidents are about to happen and react to the situation in a proper and timely fashion.

In short, don't try to change the world while you are out on your bike. Learn how the world works and how you can best make your way through it as quickly and safely as possible while causing as little inconvenience as possible to other people.

Never, however, put other peoples convenience in front of your own safety. As Chris has found out the hard way, by moving out of that drivers way and putting someone else's convenience in front of his own safety he ultimately ended up inconveniencing all concerned and almost getting a good kicking for his troubles.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Please ignore those who say don't report this incident.

You must report it.

If you don't, it's no use anyone moaning that the police do nothing: how can they act if they don't have the information?

Report it, then they at least have the option of taking action. If they then choose not to, yes we'll all moan about how useless they are.

Never mind your verbal abuse - this driver assaulted you, probably deliberately, with a two-tonne lethal weapon. You've every right to be a little upset about it!

LLB

Uncle Phil said:
Please ignore those who say don't report this incident.

You must report it.

If you don't, it's no use anyone moaning that the police do nothing: how can they act if they don't have the information?

Report it, then they at least have the option of taking action. If they then choose not to, yes we'll all moan about how useless they are.

Never mind your verbal abuse - this driver assaulted you, probably deliberately, with a two-tonne lethal weapon. You've every right to be a little upset about it!

Seconded

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
You know I really, really, really want to say "thirded" with great conviction, but I can't.

It depends. It depends on what is most likely to happen. Theoretically, I have to agree that you should report it, but practically, I'm not so sure.

Ultimately, you weren't injured. What will the police be likely to do? Will your name and address be disclosed to the reported party? What if there is a court case? Are you willing to take time off for this?

Sorry to be a downer on this one, but I do think you have to think things through thoroughly before you act (which would make just you in this altercation I might add). Having said all that, I think you should report the idiot, but realize it's much easier to say this when it's not me and I'm 3,000 miles away.

linfordlunchbox said:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Nigeyy said:
What will the police be likely to do? Will your name and address be disclosed to the reported party? What if there is a court case? Are you willing to take time off for this?

None of these things are the victim's problem, nor should they be.

If everyone considered all these things before picking up the phone to talk to the police, no-one would ever report anything and crime would be rampant (if it isn't already).

andyfromotley

Hi,
sorry to hear that you had what must have been a scary situation. Heres my take on the situation.
  • he drove badly/negligently and hit you, a clear driving offence.
  • you swore at him, (foxtrot oscar i assume) a very minor public order offence possibly.(s5 POA 1984)
  • He pushed you a very minor common assault.
Can you be bothered to report it too the police? If you do it will take several hours of your time, you will have to INSIST that something is done, they may visit the other driver. Nothing else will happen.
Sorry to be so negative but this is based on years of experience in the police.

However, the visit from the police could act as a deterrent to prevent that driver from doing such a thing again.
It will give the police something MUCH more productive to do than target cyclists jumping red lights. The choice is yours. I wouldnt bother, and would write it off to experience, but thats just me.

Glad it was nothing worse. As others have said on here get a Helmet Camera, it's not that the police are inherently lazy (although some are), its the counter allegation and lack of independant evidence that makes them view these incidents as a pain. Video of what went on makes dealing with the incident much easier.

(Alternatively move to leeds, i have said on here before that leeds drivers seem much more considerate than those elsewhere)

Andy

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Thank you for all your considered responses. I fully intend to reactivate the helmet camera with immediate effect as a precaution against Essex trogladytes. And in the hope I may some day pass BTFB with his bandana on.

Top Bottom