Sideswiped and Assaulted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Minor incident? The outcome after being struck by the car mirror, and the shove by the driver could have been very different, so its missing the point to say the assault was a minor incident. Concentrating on the outcome rather than the cause is a very common way of avoiding an issue. Report it. It's the only way aggressive behaviour can be challenged, and maybe prevent a future KSI.

domtyler

Über Member
Nortones2 said:
Minor incident? The outcome after being struck by the car mirror, and the shove by the driver could have been very different, so its missing the point to say the assault was a minor incident. Concentrating on the outcome rather than the cause is a very common way of avoiding an issue. Report it. It's the only way aggressive behaviour can be challenged, and maybe prevent a future KSI.

Come on, don't be silly now, it was a very minor incident in which no one was hurt and no property was damaged. If you want to know what a major incident is like I suggest you go talk to your local traffic police. Maybe they will let you attend the next one that occurs in your vicinity.

Jaded said:
Did you read the posts about police stats?

Hi Jaded

Has anyone got a link to any stats that include incidents such as these?
By that I mean road traffic incidents where there was no injury to persons or damage to property that were not witnessed by police officers or enforcement cameras?

Domtyler. An assault by car is a potentially serious incident, as is shoving someone in the chest. The point, which clearly eludes you, is that you are concentrating on the outcome. Who said it was a major incident? Its an assault.

You will not know this, but I have been involved in investigating rather more major incidents than the majority of police, not that it matters a jot in discussing an assault, which is a criminal offence in its own right.

domtyler

Über Member
Nortones2 said:
Domtyler. An assault by car is a potentially serious incident, as is shoving someone in the chest. The point, which clearly eludes you, is that you are concentrating on the outcome. Who said it was a major incident? Its an assault.

You will not know this, but I have been involved in investigating rather more major incidents than the majority of police, not that it matters a jot in discussing an assault, which is a criminal offence in its own right.

I think you are being emotional, you should know better if you really have investigated some sort of major incident. The police will view this as so minor that they will not want to get involved. I know that, I'm pretty sure most people on this thread know that, and if you're honest I think you know that too.;)

Nortones2 – domtyler is accurate in his description of how the police will take it – I don’t think he is for one minute justifying the behaviour of the motorist – and I quite agree with you – when some one attempts to assault me with their car or, as in this incident, starts shoving you – I would personally take that very seriously – but domtyler is correct in his description of how the police will view it – it will be such a minor concern that it won’t even make the radar (the individual officer might have sympathy for you) but there is no way any investigation would take place – they might even let you fill in a form or something, just to make you feel better, but it will get filed in the bin.

Jaded

TwickenhamCyclist said:
Hi Jaded

Has anyone got a link to any stats that include incidents such as these?
By that I mean road traffic incidents where there was no injury to persons or damage to property that were not witnessed by police officers or enforcement cameras?

Well, I suppose there will only be stats if they are reported. Each Police Service will have their own stats, which in theory are collected and recorded in the same way. I didn't know if these are made public in details.

U

User482

domtyler said:
I think you are being emotional, you should know better if you really have investigated some sort of major incident. The police will view this as so minor that they will not want to get involved. I know that, I'm pretty sure most people on this thread know that, and if you're honest I think you know that too.;)

I gave an example of a similar incident in which the police did take action. One thing is certain: no report, no action.

LLB

Jaded said:
Well, I suppose there will only be stats if they are reported. Each Police Service will have their own stats, which in theory are collected and recorded in the same way. I didn't know if these are made public in details.

Oh yes they are. My mate is a SAS programmer (contractor) who was responsible for tying the separate databases together in the Gloucestershire plod force.

spindrift

User482 said:
I gave an example of a similar incident in which the police did take action. One thing is certain: no report, no action.

MY LOCAL COP SHOP HAS A SIGN THAT SAYS DANGEROUS DRIVING REPORTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED without independent witnesses.

domtyler

Über Member
linfordlunchbox said:
Oh yes they are. My mate is a SAS programmer (contractor) who was responsible for tying the separate databases together in the Gloucestershire plod force.

Does he wear a black jumpsuit and balaclava while bashing the keys on his laptop? :biggrin:

LLB

domtyler said:
Does he wear a black jumpsuit and balaclava while bashing the keys on his laptop? :biggrin:

No, that will be the guy I bought my 4x4 off in Hereford (I kid you not :biggrin: )

U

User482

spindrift said:
MY LOCAL COP SHOP HAS A SIGN THAT SAYS DANGEROUS DRIVING REPORTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED without independent witnesses.

According to the OP there was a witness.

User482 said:
According to the OP there was a witness.

But you’ll need statements from those witnesses, and it didn’t sound from the OP that he took statements or even names from witnesses at the time – so it would be the same as having “no” witnesses

Unless you could talk the police into putting up one of those yellow Incident signs – asking for witnesses to come forward, but again, in my experience these are only used in more serious investigations – where people have got KSI in a hit and run, shot at or stabbed for example – I’ve never seen one asking for witnesses to a close overtake of a cyclist that resulted in a few words and a girly shove – to the police it’ll sound more like a hand bags at twenty paces event than anything serious enough to warrant any further investigation…
[FONT=&quot]
Sorry - I don’t mean to belittle what must have been a horrible experience, but in the grand scheme of things it’ll be taken as seriously by the police if you tried to report a teenager walking down Oxford Street who dropped a burger wrapper on the floor[/FONT]

Jaded said:

Hi Jaded

Still don’t see how such stats can exist if they are not collected in the first place – if you can’t report such incidents to the police (which in my, and it seems lot’s of other people’s experiences, you can’t) then how do they make it into stats???

Top Bottom