Silly STRAVA Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Do what my mate did; select the wrong wheel settings on the Garmin (unintentionally), and you'll be getting KOM results all day long!

400bhp

Guru
Do what my mate did; select the wrong wheel settings on the Garmin (unintentionally), and you'll be getting KOM results all day long!

Doesn't work like that.

It goes off GPS data,not off the speed sensor.

Reactions: gaz
The position and segment data derive from the GPS. The speed sensor will override one derived from GPS, the speeds from GPS are not so good.

It will not affect segment times- these use GPS

potsy

Rambler
I forgot I'd given up on Strava yesterday and got a good (for me) 4th place on an off road segment, helped by the fact the barrier at the start of the segment was open so I could get a bit of a run up :bicycle:

Once that was out of my system I continued at my usual pace for the rest of the ride ^_^

Venod

Eh up
I have a couple of KOM's that when iI look at the speed graphs compared with other people I look to be slower but the time taken to complete the section is quicker than theirs so I assume my cadence/speed sensor is reading slow its set to auto calibrate at the moment. I will have to try it on manual calibration.

Last edited:

HorTs

Über Member
The wheel size thing with Garmin along with the Digital EPO site does detract from Strava a little for me - I have to remember to take some of the times with a pinch of salt and that it doesn't really matter. It leads me to eying all Garmin device logged rides with suspicion.

Mannion

Regular
As a novice to road biking strava is something i am keen to use, i wont get obsessed over being #1 but it will be nice to see an improvement over time (i hope!)
Its a shame people have to ruin it by doctoring their times though..

Mo1959

Legendary Member
As a novice to road biking strava is something i am keen to use, i wont get obsessed over being #1 but it will be nice to see an improvement over time (i hope!)
Its a shame people have to ruin it by doctoring their times though..
Personally, I can never understand anyone getting any satisfaction from cheating. I get a bit of satisfaction out of really trying hard on some segments occasionally and knowing that it has been pure effort that has got me the occasional QOM or PB. Just a bit of fun to gauge your own improvements really.

400bhp

Guru
The wheel size thing with Garmin along with the Digital EPO site does detract from Strava a little for me - I have to remember to take some of the times with a pinch of salt and that it doesn't really matter. It leads me to eying all Garmin device logged rides with suspicion.
Didn't you take any notice of the replies in this thread? Strava segments are unaffected by wheel size setings.

Reactions: 4F
Top Bottom