Simple, good honest meals...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cheese on toast with mustard powder and Lea and Perrins
Sardines on toast
Poached eggs on toast

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Did you know that Mr Perrins had a summer retreat in the Highlands and has a street named after him?
I didn't. Thanks for the information. We were in Barbados about ten years ago and visited a small wood. A local told us that a particular tree was one of the type that provided flavours to Lea and Perrins. I've always been slightly worried about my favourite sauce. What exactly dissolves the plastic bottle caps after about six months?????

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Salade nicoise which is: lettuce, tomatoes, parsley, hard boiled eggs, boiled potatoes, tuna, cucumber, challots , all mixed with home made vinaigrette. It is very refreshing and filling.
Thanks for the inspiration. On Thursday I bought a couple of tubs of antipasti, consisting of mixed olives, little sweet peppers and feta from Tesco, reduced from £4.50 to £1.13 each, except I was charged £4.50 for one of them, which was completely refunded by customer services, i.e. £1.13 for both. Yesterday Waitrose had some seriously reduced fresh tuna.
Well, how much more of a hint did I need?
My version lacks the parsley and shallots, the potatoes are sautéed, and I add a couple of anchovy fillets. Bit low-key for our ruby wedding, but in my defence we ate out yesterday at a restaurant of Mrs Poacher's choice.

The home made bread was appreciated too.

ozboz

Guru
My favourite simple meal is poached eggs on toast with a sprinkle of paprika. I ate it religiously before hockey each week.

Couldn’t agree more !!
£3.50 in local caff
I’m more of a pepper man though 😉

Last edited:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
If some of the above are "simple" I would love to see your ideas of "fancy".
Your wish is my command. Here's a link to what has accidentally become my "signature dish"*.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/hot-smoked-salmon-sweet-chilli-pasta.16110/
Seems like a long and disparate list of ingredients, but it actually comes together quickly and with no particular skill needed, fortunately.

*Yes, my alter ego is Sue Veed - considered but rejected Dee Constructed. Still attracted some disapproval from some of the less imaginative members when they found out I was male. :rolleyes:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
That's no stovies!!!!

Get yourself along to Celebrations in Turriff for the best stovies ever.

Leftover pie.
Whenever I cook something nice I plan to have enough leftovers for the pie, which seems to be the preferred food delivery vehicle for almost all my homestay students from the language school.

Top Bottom