Simulating single speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
before I buy a SS/fixie I was thinking of simulating it on my roadie simply by staying in a set gear throughout my usual training run.

How can I tell what you usually get on a SS/fixie and how that would translate on a multi speed?

My main concern is hills - I drop to absolute lowest gear and slowly grind up hills.

Cheers,

TP

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
39/15 would be a good guess? (And you will probably find that a real grind on the hills!) That is the gear that I chose for my s/s bike and the gear was ok from 12-24 mph and ideal for me at about 18 mph. (On the flat!)

GGJ

Veteran
If you're running a compact chainset on your geared bike you could try putting it onto the big ring at the front (50T) and the 20T ring on the rear. That will give you approximately a 66 inch gear which only an inch or so shorter than you would have fitted to a Genesis out of the box with its 46T-18 gearing at 67 inches.

Citius

before I buy a SS/fixie I was thinking of simulating it on my roadie simply by staying in a set gear throughout my usual training run.

In my experience, the determination to do this evapourates as soon as you reach the first incline - then common sense takes over.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In my experience, the determination to do this evapourates as soon as you reach the first incline - then common sense takes over.
I find it more tempting on the flat, when your legs are spinning away and you know you could cover the ground quicker with just a flick of a lever...

How can I tell what you usually get on a SS/fixie and how that would translate on a multi speed?

My main concern is hills - I drop to absolute lowest gear and slowly grind up hills.

Cheers,

TP
This is how I used to ride until about 10 years ago, when I started to spin more. It just requires you to take a different mental approach and find the right gear.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'd aim for 65-75 inches, depending on terrain. Use this calculator to do it.
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

Riding fixed requires a very flexible approach to cadence, you can forget all the stuff about ideal rpm's unless of course you live in the Fens and the wind never blows. Today I was going as slow as 8mph and top speed was 38mph. You soon learn a good climbing out of the saddle technique though. To go back to your original question, I did exactly that, rode my geared bike in one gear on a hilly route.

SSmatty

I agree it depends where you live.
However you can commit (a bit ) fairly cheaply.
You can buy a SS chainset for about £15 on eBay.
You might need a new BB to get a chainline that works, and a tensioner if you have vertical dropouts, but it will give you a good idea if you like it.
I had a GT peace that I didn't really use so I sold it.
Now I use an old 70s road bike converted for less than £100.
Just choose an entry point

Broadside

Guru

I did this on my commute bike and didn't change gear for about 12 months, it was interesting to see how it quickly became normal to honk up hills. I need to go the whole hog now and buy a fixed gear bike.

Top Bottom