Single front fork, why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I followed a bike this morning with a single front fork.

What is the benefit of this, is it just a fad?

It can't save much, if any, weight, and surely the single fork and the wheel hub have to be over engineered to take the higher forces. in the same way a convertible car is heavier than a normal car.

If it was any good wouldnt we all have one?

col

Legendary Member
Lighter? unlikely as you said. Give me a normal set of forks, I wouldnt feel comfortable with a single. Must just be trying to stand out to sell? Cant see any benefit?

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Right I have now read that whole lefty thread, and I am still none the wiser as to why? It just seems to be more expensive and provide no additional benefit other than visual.

But seeing as the topic has been covered before i will leave it there.

Cyclist33

Not that I understand or agree with the "science" but I was told yonks ago that it's because the compression acting on each tine of a conventional fork will always be uneven as the bike is never wholly upright, but as conventional two-tine forks aren't differential, then the operation of the fork suffers, ie one side will always be over compressed and the other under compressed, around any given corner.

The "Lefty" or any other like the Headshock supposedly negates that as only one spring is taking the compression so there is no uneven stress.

Stu

Norm

It would make it child's play to fix a puncture or replace a tyre.
I think that this is the main benefit.

As for not feeling "comfortable" riding one, have a look at each corner of your car (or bus or lorry or train or even aircraft) and ask yourself if you ever feel uncomfortable riding in one of them.

I think that bikes and motorbikes are about the only form of mass transport on which the axle is usually secured at both ends, either side of the wheel.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
single sided rear swinging arms increasingly common on motorbikes.

EDIT: LOL. My strida has single sided frame fork front and rear!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Mike Burrows has long been keen on cantilevered wheels.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Checkout the Giant Halfway - Mike Burrows design http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/halfway.1/7851/45477/

Halfway.jpg

Attachments

• Halfway.jpg
    Halfway.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 191
Nothing mechanically wrong with a stub axle or cantilever suspended wheel

The problem is more with perception
And adding front panniers....

The Halfway was redesigned with standard forks and rear triangle....... the later "normal" version sold better

PS.......... All trikes have single sided hubs!

Top Bottom