Single speed to fixed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oddjob62

Well after a couple of weeks of riding ss, I decided that today, since it was a holiday and very little traffic, to stop making excuses and flip my wheel. Results? Undecided so far. My laps of regents park felt a LOT easier, but the ride home up Hampstead hill was slightly harder than usual, probably because usually i do laps before work then ride home after work (7h gap) whereas today i did my laps and rode straight home.

All in all, very :smile:. I doubt my old (well only 6 months old) hybrid will see much daylight this summer.

Hugo15

Über Member
I went straight to fixed when I got my Pearson Hanzo a couple of months ago. I loved my first ride but then for the next couple of weeks I was a bit undecided. Hard work on the hills and when it was windy, and at least one moment per ride when I tried to freewheel with scary results. I stuck with it and now I am loving riding fixed. Can now spin down all the hills on my commute, have got used to riding slowly in traffic so don't have to worry about being clipped in (not quite up to a a trackstand yet). Oh and my fitness seems to be coming on leaps and bounds as there are no easy miles on a fixed.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I went straight to fixed when i got given a frame that could be used for fixed. I loved it from the go, and i used to go out training in the day, then in the evenings(built it up in summer when there was nice evenings) went out on it in my normal clothes.
I loved it, it was amazing.
Then i went on holiday and took my geared bike(wish i hadnt) and i got back from holiday late. Club ride the next day, so after 2 weeks of riding fixed(most of those slowish miles chilling on it) i took the peddles off the geared bike and went out on the fixed on a club ride. I did well, but got dropped on the way back because of a strong tailwind:sad: I had a nice ride home with an older guy that i knew, who waited for me because he understood fixed and me just starting to ride it.
I got better on that then built up my new one:becool:
I now love fixed, and can keep up with the groups, go faster on hill and sometimes downhill and on the flat:thumbsup:
Its amazing, and my fixed gets used all the time, except when my old one broke, then the Giant came out. I think the next time the geared bike will come out is when i go on holiday and will need to gears.
What gear have you got on it?

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

Joe24 said:
What gear have you got on it?

got 67.2 GI (46/18 on 23x700)

Pretty easy for me on my main hill, so will probably upgrade to 48/18 after a couple of weeks.

Hugo15 said:
Oh and my fitness seems to be coming on leaps and bounds as there are no easy miles on a fixed.

That's my main reason for going fixed (i'm talking general fitness not specific bike fitness), so good to hear.

Joe24

Oddjob62 said:
got 67.2 GI (46/18 on 23x700)

Pretty easy for me on my main hill, so will probably upgrade to 48/18 after a couple of weeks.

That's my main reason for going fixed (i'm talking general fitness not specific bike fitness), so good to hear.

Its an easy gear, but it will get you fitter, teach you to spin and keep you pretty supple.
I ride 48/18 and its fine, but some people i know that ride fixed think its way too big, and 65" is a better gear to go about on.
65" was what i started on, that really did teach me how to spin, i got my legs going at 200rpm one time going down a hill:eek: Great fun though.

MajorMantra

A single speed is just like any other bike, but you only have one gear ratio. A fixed gear bike has no freewheel meaning that if the wheels are turning, so are the cranks. More explanation of the hows and whys is here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

Strictly speaking, a fixed gear is a kind of single speed, but in practice the term 'single speed' generally means a bike with a freewheel.

Matthew

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

Man, going downhill is tough. I've always favoured grinding over spinning when i had gears, so i suck at high cadence. Coming down the big hill from my house i'm having to ride the brakes all the way. Probably have to replace the pads once a week unless i get better fast.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Oddjob62 said:
Man, going downhill is tough. I've always favoured grinding over spinning when i had gears, so i suck at high cadence. Coming down the big hill from my house i'm having to ride the brakes all the way. Probably have to replace the pads once a week unless i get better fast.

I was like that in my 1st week, it does get easier :smile:. Try and relex your legs and before you know it you will be wondering what the fuss was about.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I was like that in my 1st week, it does get easier :smile:. Try and relex your legs and before you know it you will be wondering what the fuss was about.
Yeah i guessed that would be the case. I'm still getting used to the 700x23 tyres as well (never rode anything smaller than 35s before this bike). Like i said i've got a big hill next to my house which i will have to take every morning so i'll get plenty of practice.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Oddjob62 said:
Yeah i guessed that would be the case. I'm still getting used to the 700x23 tyres as well (never rode anything smaller than 35s before this bike). Like i said i've got a big hill next to my house which i will have to take every morning so i'll get plenty of practice.

First day I launched myself down my local hill and thought wtf have I done and was on the brakes all the way down. Now I descend shouting "wahey" ;)

Joe24

You have to get used to the peddles pushing your feet around. I got used to it by riding slowly and just relaxing my legs and feeling the peddles push my legs around.
I upped the speed, and not can go down a hill fine. It does get alot easier when you get less worried about fixed wheel.

OP
OP
O

Oddjob62

Today (day4) has been a lot easier even though it's been in traffic, only a couple of "bollocks, forgot to pedal" moments, and still takes 2 or 3.... or 15 attempts to get my 2nd foot into the powergrips, but it's getting there. And i'm loving the fact that it's next to silent.

Top Bottom