single speed with disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
So from what I can tell there are 4 ways to do disc brakes with a single speed.

There are chain tug disc adaptors, but due to the forces involved imo they're a non starter & I'll be avoiding them.

Vertical dropouts provide the best solution for maintaining correct disc/caliper alignment without re-adjustment if you want to change the gearing. The most well known is vertical dropout solusion is to use a chain tensioner such as the Gusset Bachelor SS. While they certainly do work as it's the tensioning method I used on the MTB IMO it's a kludge at best to solve a problem of using an existing frame & as this won't be an existing frame I don't want to use it.

The other thing that could be done with vertical drop outs is the use of an eccentric bottom bracket, having never used or seen one in the flesh is this a good solution to the tension problem?

Finally there's the solution used by on-one & cotic, horizontal dropouts with disc mountings which allow for the caliper to be moved. While this does have the advantage of allowing for more chain adjustment it also could be fiddly to get everything aligned properly.

So out of the 3 options I'm willing to consider which do people think are best & why?

MichaelM

Guru
Option 4: it's not as fiddly as you might think.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
Interesting, I'm assuming you're talking from experience. I've found that the need to properly face the mountings has been very important in reducing judder & general miss-behaviour of disc brakes & this at first glance would be something not so easy to do with an adjustable arrangement.

betty swollocks

large member
Go fixed and just have a single disc brake on the front:-

2igj237.jpg

RedBike

On my Kona unit the disc mount is part of the vertical dropout. So as you slide the wheel back/forward the disc tab moves too. The advantage is you can quickly retension the chain using just an allen key while out on a ride. The disadvantages are the dropouts are heavy.

This picture is a Paragon; but essentially the same.
ParagonSlidingDropouts.jpg

02GF74

Über Member
^^^^ yeah but that Kona frame was made with 1 speed in mine. 99.999999% of bike frames are not.

Top Bottom